stanced 1997 coupe..advice??

stancedcivic

Respected
I'm a first time user and first time civic owner. I bought this car after my truck was stolen and I loved the look. The drivetrain is stock, but it's been lowered and a camber kit put on the rear wheels. He included the stock springs, and im contemplating putting them on and removing the camber because of a little problem. I'm having a problem with the front tires getting a bit chewed up on the sidewall from scraping. The guy I bought it from says it needs a camber kit on the front. Is there a better option?? And also how hard would it be to change out the rear struts myself?? IMG_20150628_144017.jpg IMG_20150628_144000.jpg

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can get an alignment without a camber kit and it should fix it but you will always have a little wear with camber, proper way would be to set the camber where it needs to be and have it aligned. Struts are easy to change, I installed my 4 full coilovers by myself in a couple hours

stancedcivic

Respected
You can get an alignment without a camber kit and it should fix it but you will always have a little wear with camber, proper way would be to set the camber where it needs to be and have it aligned. Struts are easy to change, I installed my 4 full coilovers by myself in a couple hours
/
Thanks for the advice. I've had someone tell me I could roll the fenders. I know how to do that but would that be a bad idea?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That appears to be a nice looking Civic. Before considering further options, you should confirm the current shocks and springs. Also post a picture of the sidewall on at least one of the front tires. You may just need quality springs or shocks. Rolling the fenders isnt bad so long as its done properly so you dont get fender dents or creases.

Last edited:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its not even low. Get an alignment and fix whatever is rubbing.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It doesn't sound like he is scrubbing, it sounds like he is contacting the fenders from poor wheel fitment. Alignment won't change that. He is going to either have to camber them out to fit under there, roll/pull the fenders, raise the car up some, get different tires and stretch more, or get better fitting wheels. Rolling the fenders is the cheapest and easiest option if the wheels are a must have. Make sure to do it right though. There are so many that do it half ass and it looks like crap.

Personally, I would sell the wheels and pick up a set that fits better. If you get the right wheel and tire set up, you can fit them under there perfectly without modification to the chassis or the body.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It doesn't sound like he is scrubbing, it sounds like he is contacting the fenders from poor wheel fitment. Alignment won't change that. He is going to either have to camber them out to fit under there, roll/pull the fenders, raise the car up some, get different tires and stretch more, or get better fitting wheels. Rolling the fenders is the cheapest and easiest option if the wheels are a must have. Make sure to do it right though. There are so many that do it half ass and it looks like crap.

Personally, I would sell the wheels and pick up a set that fits better. If you get the right wheel and tire set up, you can fit them under there perfectly without modification to the chassis or the body.
I agree. looks like the wheels have too low of an offset. getting a set of wheels with higher offset should fix that scrubbing issue

stancedcivic

Respected
Thanks for the advice you guys. I'll admit the wheel and tire combo is a little large for this ride height, but I love the wheels. The sidewalls are getting chewed by the inside of the fenders, but not enough to worry I don't think. The damage is minimal. I may try to roll the inside of the front fenders slightly to try and correct it. Can anyone give me some advice on what type of rear struts to get since its lowered? I've heard a lot of different stuff and it seems getting struts that fit at stock height might not be a good idea. Any advice??

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
really depends on the springs/ride height. You'll probably get a lot of advice to go coilovers. Do you know what springs and shocks are being used right now?