:)

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First thing, hands down....ditch that crappy automatic. Performance is non-existant in these with the gas saving motors and an automatic makes it even worse. You want to keep the same motor, just google how to do a manual swap with that current motor in it. I guarantee there is something out there going over what to do and what you need.

As far as the rest of the information. Search. Search. Search. Search. Search. ANYTHING you can think of to upgrade, it has been done and has been discussed in length on this site and every other honda website. There are in depth articles, how tos, writes ups, etc on swaps and anything else you can dream up. No one is going to spoon feed the information. We are here to help if you get stuck, but won't hand hold to get to the info. Especially when it comes to things like swaps.

Second thing. Get some side skirts on that thing.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The smart thing to do first is fine tune the engine. Address any leaks or issues. Otherwise youre feeding money into a potential lawn or tow truck ornament. Make a list of options & mods youre considering then list them by priority. For example, figure out if you want the exterior or interior complete first. Go in order and search your butt off then ask questions when you hit a wall. Its your car and finances so only you can make the best decision according to your taste. My suggestion is to fine tune the engine then build the sound system (have a reliable car with entertaining sound), then follow your priority list. Being that you like old school looking rims, have you considered going with chrome snap-on trim rings for those current stock rims?

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
First thing, hands down....ditch that crappy automatic. Performance is non-existant in these with the gas saving motors and an automatic makes it even worse. You want to keep the same motor, just google how to do a manual swap with that current motor in it. I guarantee there is something out there going over what to do and what you need.

As far as the rest of the information. Search. Search. Search. Search. Search. ANYTHING you can think of to upgrade, it has been done and has been discussed in length on this site and every other honda website. There are in depth articles, how tos, writes ups, etc on swaps and anything else you can dream up. No one is going to spoon feed the information. We are here to help if you get stuck, but won't hand hold to get to the info. Especially when it comes to things like swaps.

Second thing. Get some side skirts on that thing.

Thank you first and foremost, manual swap I see. I've seen a write up on that before so I will definitely chew on that for a while. Keep the same motor eh? Okay I will look into that too.

Will do! I have the side skirts, just want to paint match them to the car. That'll be a project when I'm off of work next for sure!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The engine is up to you but from looking at your mods and seeing the questions you have asked, a swap is more than likely out of your skill set. I just meant, if you keep the same engine, you search for a manual based on that engine.

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
The smart thing to do first is fine tune the engine. Address any leaks or issues. Otherwise youre feeding money into a potential lawn or tow truck ornament. Make a list of options & mods youre considering then list them by priority. For example, figure out if you want the exterior or interior complete first. Go in order and search your butt off then ask questions when you hit a wall. Its your car and finances so only you can make the best decision according to your taste. My suggestion is to fine tune the engine then build the sound system (have a reliable car with entertaining sound), then follow your priority list. Being that you like old school looking rims, have you considered going with chrome snap-on trim rings for those current stock rims?
Okay it does have a leak in the power steering and I've seen other people delete their power steering. I was thinking of keeping mine since it is my daily. Okay sweet I'll start looking at ways to enhance the stock engine's potential. I have a killer sound system currently, I know a little about car audio. Just gotta install it :/

So something like this??

image.jpg

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay it does have a leak in the power steering and I've seen other people delete their power steering. I was thinking of keeping mine since it is my daily. Okay sweet I'll start looking at ways to enhance the stock engine's potential. I have a killer sound system currently, I know a little about car audio. Just gotta install it :/

So something like this??

View attachment 25899
Yes, just like this.

A power steering leak shouldnt be too difficult or expensive to repair. Theres no real effective way to enhance an automatics potential outside of getting it running tip-top. Perform a full fuel system cleaning if anything.

Now installing the sound system isnt difficult but can be done many ways: some more organized than others. It depends on the effort youre willing to put in. Im curious to know the brands of this "killer" system.

Last edited:

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Yes, just like this.

A power steering leak shouldnt be too difficult or expensive to repair. Theres no real effective way to enhance an automatics potential outside of getting it running tip-top. Perform a full fuel system cleaning if anything.

Now installing the sound system isnt difficult but can be done many ways: some more organized than others. It depends on the effort youre willing to put in. Im curious to know the brands of this "killer" system.
I see what you mean about the automatic, my first car was manual, I don't like having no control over when to shift gears. I'm gonna drop by a shop on my next day off and have the power steering looked at, I also think the rack and pinion are bad. My stepdad used to own this car and he said this is the 3rd one he's put into it. A little discouraging. I'm just gonna use the system that came out of my dodge 1500. I've got 2 12" Kicker Comp VT's and a Rockford Power T500 amp. It's definitely not the loudest thing around but it suits my needs well. I may upgrade to a higher watt amplifier and replace the rear and door speakers too but for now I'm more concerned with a little added bass than mids and hi's. I also bought a pioneer head unit. I'm not sure if tweeters came standard in all EX's but I'll definitely upgrade the ones in my car later on down the road. I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm tryin not to be too impulsive.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Welcome to CC! Nice score on the low mile civic the body looks real straight. I really good investment in your car would be a factory service manual, it'll guide you through anything that needs to be done on your ride. book, some tools and a good attitude you could tackle your power steering issue.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm gonna drop by a shop on my next day off and have the power steering looked at, I also think the rack and pinion are bad. My stepdad used to own this car and he said this is the 3rd one he's put into it. A little discouraging.
No rack & pinion or power steering pump should last so short on a honda unles your stepdad used crappy aftermarket parts. Do your homework.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First thing, hands down....ditch that crappy automatic. Performance is non-existant in these with the gas saving motors and an automatic makes it even worse.
Absolutely!

Take care of the regular maintenance first, then this should be the 1st mod to tackle!

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Welcome to CC! Nice score on the low mile civic the body looks real straight. I really good investment in your car would be a factory service manual, it'll guide you through anything that needs to be done on your ride. book, some tools and a good attitude you could tackle your power steering issue.
Now that's some good advice!