97 Civic 5 door Auto

TDubya

Just bought my wife a 97 Civic 5door auto and the speedo got stuck pointing straight down !
So ... searched all the sites ... read all the forums i could find ...
I quickly realised speedo faults are common on civics ...
I also realised ( even more quickly ) the solutions are not so common !

I was told it was the VSS or the connector had corroded behind the dash or the speedo was faulty and the list went on ...

I still do not know why the needle went all the way round and got stuck pointing down but i decided to have a go at fixing it myself ...

It took 15 mins to fix and touch wood is still working ... so if you are having the same problem this may help ...

I undid the 4 screws that hold the trim around instrument panel ... then the three screws holding the instrument panel itself ... prized apart the plastic cover ... gently lifted speedo needle over odometer pin and again over the rest pin ...
put it all back together and it worked again ...
i hope this helps

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's no such thing as a five-door (hatchback) 1997 Civic.

TDubya

There's no such thing as a five-door (hatchback) 1997 Civic.
The 5 door civic was not sold in the USA so maybe thats why you have not heard of it ... got loads of them here in the UK

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont recall ever seeing that before. In part because it doesnt exist in the US, which you are clearly not from. There's a clear language barrier there as shown by some weird word usage that I dont get what you meant to say. A little research tells me its a European Civic variation. It looks weird to me.

bairdandrew77

The back looks like a 94/95 accord to me, especially with those taillights. I actually think that car looks kinda nice.
Good job figuring out the issue, I'll keep this in mind if my speedo ever does this

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk