AC Help

Croppedcorners

Hello everyone,
I went to recharge my AC today (94 ex coupe) and everything went fine until I turned my car off and went to go close my hood. I herd a hissing sound confirming my assumption of a leak. Would this leak most likely be located in the condenser or the compressor? What are some steps I should take in troubleshooting?

Thanks

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AC systems have an exact level and pressure within them. How are you achieving that at home? Please don't say with one of those home kits. They are a waste of money and 90% of the time they do more harm than anything. A working AC shouldn't need "recharging", it's a sealed system and isn't something that needs redone after time. If it isn't cold anymore it needs components replaced due to failure or because of a leak and the system needs re-pressurized by a professional machine and the exact amount of r134 added back in called for in the specs.

You need to have the system pressure checked by a professional. The hissing was probably from you over filling the system because it didn't need a "recharge". My guess is by using the kit and forcing more into the system than what was called for, you blew out some seals.

Croppedcorners

There was no refrigerant in the AC when I purchased the car and according to the previous owner all I needed to do was add some. So that's the advice I'm going off of. I'm not saying it's the correct advice, but I did want to explain my actions. And to answer your question I used Z R-134A WITH RECHARGE HOSE WITH GAUGE that I got from Oriley's.