MYDAYLY's EJ8 Build

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Not with a d-series. Need a b-series engine to go with a b-series transmission.
I've read a lot of good things about the ITR and GSR engines. Just gotta put in much more research and time about the swap process. I'm not very experienced with engines or civics yet unfortunately

Steven Johnson

Respected
I've got a lot to learn, but hell yeah I want to do that. Any suggestions on what type of tranny to throw in? Someone told me a GSR would be worth a go?
While I'm not expert in the transmission department, I can tell you that a GSR trans will NOT fit/bolt up to your D series engine. If you're staying with the D series, you'll need a D series trans. Other than that...I couldn't tell ya lol. My platform that I know like the back of my hand is K. Still learning the D and B myself.

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
While I'm not expert in the transmission department, I can tell you that a GSR trans will NOT fit/bolt up to your D series engine. If you're staying with the D series, you'll need a D series trans. Other than that...I couldn't tell ya lol. My platform that I know like the back of my hand is K. Still learning the D and B myself.
I see, I haven't read much about the K series. I kinda want to get the interior/exterior of the vehicle ship shape first and then focus on the internals/performance. Going to pick up a few more pieces tomorrow to replace a few of the old worn out parts. After reading about the D series engine Im leaning toward a swap. Still don't know near enough to make a decision but yes that automatic will be taking a one way trip to the junkyard. :guns:

Last edited:

Steven Johnson

Respected
I see, I haven't read much about the K series. I kinda want to get the interior/exterior of the vehicle ship shape first and then focus on the internals/performance. Going to pick up a few more pieces tomorrow to replace a few of the old worn out parts. After reading about the D series engine Im leaning toward a swap. Still don't know near enough to make a decision but yes that automatic will be taking a one way trip to the junkyard. :guns:
Well, if you plan on swapping the engine, then you might as well just keep it automatic until you figure out the engine you want. As much as I LOVE the K series and know all about them, I really want to swap my Ek Coupe with a B series and turbo it. Just gotta do your research. =)

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well, if you plan on swapping the engine, then you might as well just keep it automatic
Yeah good point. And that's probably what I'm going to do. Yeah the B series engine catches my interest. Even the non vtec b18b1. What B series engine were you considering? If I ever have a question about the K series, I know who to ask then. Secondly, why switch to B series? Mastered the K and want to try something new?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hope youre aware that stock shocks cant handle lowering springs and will wear out fast. You may have a year or two on them before theyre worn out, depending on mileage.

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
I hope youre aware that stock shocks cant handle lowering springs and will wear out fast. You may have a year or two on them before theyre worn out, depending on mileage.
Thank you, did not know that.

Steven Johnson

Respected
Yeah good point. And that's probably what I'm going to do. Yeah the B series engine catches my interest. Even the non vtec b18b1. What B series engine were you considering? If I ever have a question about the K series, I know who to ask then. Secondly, why switch to B series? Mastered the K and want to try something new?
K series is an expensive swap and I've always wanted a B. They sound great and they can make a LOT of power. And generally speaking, upgrading the internals of a K series is a lot more expensive - at least in comparison to the K20/K24's.

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Was missing a piece of the driver's side moulding so I bought one on craigslist that was dark gray and painted it to match the clover.

image.jpg

I also paint matched the windshield wipers

Before:

image.jpg

Aircraft remover:

image.jpg

Prime:

image.jpg

Paint:

image.jpg

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
After a huge pause in progress w/ Rhonda (what I've decided to name the green weenie)... I Decided to re-upholster my headliner. Was pretty easy considering I have no experience in this area. THANK YOU YOUTUBE... and Wal Mart. Oh and autozone too. Being unemployed has seriously dampened my funds.

***IMPORTANT***
What you should know if you plan on doing this, it will be MUCH MUCH easier with a friend. But only If you have/plan on upholstering the sunroof sliding door section too. Removing the sunroof assembly is very heavy and awkward and you do risk injury if you aren't extremely careful. I did this all myself and in hindsight, I would much rather have an extra pair of hands to help me.

Before :

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Looks like good work so far, except that bright green paint in the engine bay lol. What are some plans for the near future?

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Looks like good work so far, except that bright green paint in the engine bay lol. What are some plans for the near future?
Thanks man, You are very right about that. I'm looking at scrapping that green and polishing the head.

Similar to this :

image.jpeg

I don't want to get too far ahead of my skill level just yet. I've learned a s**t ton over the last 6 months thru reading and tinkering. Definitely thinkin of goin for the Si clone look but maybe not Si internals.

as far as exterior mods for the future
I'm leaning toward this look :

image.jpeg

I'm a bit unsure as to if I want to respray the clover green, go champion white, or go black.

I will be doing these mods when I can afford them.

•all disc brakes
•paint
•cat back exhaust. I see a lot of users going the yonaka route. I'm not sure which brand I want yet.
•black interior carpet kit
(I currently have some sick custom black carpet floor mats I bought brand new from a user on here I'll put in when the carpet kit is installed.)
•manual transmission swap
•coilovers possibly F and F's. need to research a lil more. I want to go lower about another inch.
• Yellow fogs
• Possibly turbo the d series
•throw the paint matched front lip and skirts back on.
•LCA's
•strut bar/sway bar combo
•performance intake manifold
•there are others, but it deals with internals and I'm simply just not there yet skill wise.
I want a clean look, and a little bit of power.
No monstrous power or flashy mods.

I'm always open to opinions and ideas. Always ready for some knowledge.

Last edited:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Lol you probably don't want to hear my ideas, they all involve slamming the car :lol: lololol. But on a serious note, the turbo and internals cost a lot of money and are hard to do (for people like me who don't know much). The other things in the list seem do able. F&F are usually coilovers to go very low (almost slammed), and aren't always the most comfortable ones btw.

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Lol you probably don't want to hear my ideas, they all involve slamming the car :lol: lololol. But on a serious note, the turbo and internals cost a lot of money and are hard to do (for people like me who don't know much). The other things in the list seem do able. F&F are usually coilovers to go very low (almost slammed), and aren't always the most comfortable ones btw.
I'm not opposed to the slam/stretched look. It's nice for maybe a show car. But slamming would be a bit too far for me. I got a driveway that I lightly scrape on now if I don't come in at an angle. I can probably afford another inch and be safe. I like a daily driver with a little show and go. Sadly I haven't seen very many boosted d series on here. I know the smartest thing to do is swap for a b16 or b18 and call it a day. It would just suck to say bye to this motor with only 90,000 miles on it. Man, I'll be scratching my head for awhile. Or maybe just buy one already swapped and modded and save the headache lol

Last edited:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I'm not opposed to the slam/stretched look. It's nice for maybe a show car. But slamming would be a bit too far for me. I got a driveway that I lightly scrape on now if I don't come in at an angle. I can probably afford another inch and be safe. I like a daily driver with a little show and go. Sadly I haven't seen very many boosted d series on here. I know the smartest thing to do is swap for a b16 or b18 and call it a day. It would just suck say bye to this motor with only 90,000 miles on it. Man, I'll be scratching my head for awhile. Or maybe just buy one already swapped and modded and save the headache lol
I understand. You don't wanna see my oil pan or headers then :rolf:

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Well today was another unemployed day...

So I did some typical s**t to my car.

Painted the trim that runs along the bottom of both the passenger and driver windows back to black!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And some randoms of the Mancave in progress!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Do you have a suggestion on a pair of coilovers that will drop my car like 2.75 inches all around and ride smooth or about the same as stock? I noticed talk of blackworksracing SS coilovers and raceland coil overs in the other forum about "Anthony's clover green ex". I don't want them for handling improvement or for the track. Both brands seem to be RIGHT in my price range! Or do you suggest I save more and get a more expensive pair?

Last edited:

Anthony_76

5+ Year Member
Can you give me a link to those lugnuts you bought?
Thank you.
I have the same car as you but a 5-Speed.
How many miles are on yours?
I'm going to be doing some touch up on mine like you've done on yours too.

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
Can you give me a link to those lugnuts you bought?
Thank you.
I have the same car as you but a 5-Speed.
How many miles are on yours?
I'm going to be doing some touch up on mine like you've done on yours too.
Okay so I searched high and low and finally found where I bought them. They are exactly like the OEM lugs just green. Funny thing is I've had a couple guys wave me down on the road to ask me where I got them. They're slightly different then the oem clover green, but they're so similar that no one will be able to tell the difference.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/24-HONDA-BALL-RADIUS-STOCK-OEM-WHEELS-LUG-NUTS-12X1-5-M12-1-5-CLOSED-END-GREEN-/161176796288?nav=SEARCH

I've looked at your build and it's coming along well. Cool that you're keeping it all stock.
Right now I'm just over 90,000 miles. Wish mine was manual.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Do you have a suggestion on a pair of coilovers that will drop my car like 2.75 inches all around and ride smooth or about the same as stock? I noticed talk of blackworksracing SS coilovers and raceland coil overs in the other forum about "Anthony's clover green ex". I don't want them for handling improvement or for the track. Both brands seem to be in RIGHT in my price range! Or do you suggest I save more and get a more expensive pair?
There's a lot of options for ya, depending on your purpose. I've lost all sense of what a 2 inch drop looks like on an ek, since I'm all about going as low as physically possible lmao.
My first disclaimer is that I am extremely biased towards full bodied coilovers, since i have NEVER had any good experience (personally or riding on my buddies cars) from coilover sleeves on aftermarket or OEM struts. Having that said, here we go:
Your range of options are from about $600 to about $1100. I'd say majority of people would shoot for something NON-dampening (adjusting wise) and for around $600. On that group there is Function & Form (which go very low for their price), Blackwork SS, Yonaka (I've heard they drop about as much as F&F), Skunk 2 Pro SII.
On the second group there are coilovers that are from $800 to $1100. I usually tend to recommend these because of the dampening adjusting that they have. They let you drop your car (usually as low as the cheaper coilovers but they also let you adjust how harsh or how soft it feels). Some choices here are Function & Form TYPE 2, D2 Super Lows (I own these, they are for extreme drops), BC Extreme Low (also to achieve very low stance), D2 RS (go pretty low, not slammed), Ksport (I've never seen how low they go, but they are dampening adjusting).
Also note, NOTHING will ride like OEM. If you are concerned about ride smoothness, you might want to get a set up with soft springs, or a set up a little stiffer but that also has dampening adjusting. I'm a little skeptical of giving you this information, because people who look for comfort over looks when dropping a car usually aren't very satisfied. Anyways, Good luck.