Resurrecting the Dream/civhatch92 [REbuild]

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
thank goodness for the south haha. I'd hate having to deal with that crap.
Certainly does suck dealing with it! Going to junk yards usually is a pain as well, because half the parts you really want are rusted fast :(

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Took some time off from work in order to do some work on the civic's.

Managed to get the motor I want to keep out of the coupe, and then put a single slammer back into the coupe and am going to sell that car off.

Not sure how many everyone else removes their motors.. but my dad came up with this genius technique.
We crafted some jack extensions for two jacks to allow them to lift higher.
First we jacked the car up, placed it on jack stands, unbolted the entire motor minus two mounts.
Next a small rolling engine cradle was tied to the motor, the car was then lowered down until the stand touched the ground.

With the motor resting on the cradle, the mounts were all removed, then jacked back up and placed on jack stands. Next the jack extensions were placed onto the jacks and then the car was jacked back up, now able to achieve several more inches of lift the motor could then just be slid right out on the rolling cradle. Easy, peeeezy!

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Next I started working on some wiring for the hatch that I am building.
Drivers side harnesses removed from the car. The brown connector is for headlights, the other is the strut tower large connector which will all be tucked.

Completed white connector harness. This will be plugged back in under the dash but will remain tucked under the dashboard and plugged into a wireworx harness.

Completed brown connector for the headlight, turn signal, wiper motor and grounds. I removed the wires for the windshield washer squirter as well as the brake master cylinder indicator and evap purge.

Plugged back in under the dash.

These connectors mount WAY up behind the fuse box. Was easy to get to since I had removed the entire dashboard.

Tucked windshield wiper harness. Wrapped it all, then just depinned it and pulled it up through with a piece of wire.

Here are some pics of how I ran the rest of the wires for the drivers side. I DID NOT extend any of the wires. They are all the factory wires!

I'll be putting some edge protector on the oval eventually to prevent cutting of the wires from vibrations.

And one of the white hatch!

Last edited:

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looking good!

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I wish I had just one ounce of your worth ethic when it came to working on my cars.
Dedication! The only way things will get done are if I set some time aside and dedicate it strictly to working on the car.
I don't have a garage where I live, so I keep my cars at my parents who are generous enough to allow me to do so, then I go there when I've got free weekends to work on it.
During the week I typically just browse the internet for parts an do research on what upgrades I want to do.

I've even got a google document spreadsheet full of a parts list as well as all of the information I find online pertaining to what I plan on doing with my build whether it be wiring diagrams, shaving/tucking, body work, parts reviews, and pictures of ideas for my build.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dedication! The only way things will get done are if I set some time aside and dedicate it strictly to working on the car.
I don't have a garage where I live, so I keep my cars at my parents who are generous enough to allow me to do so, then I go there when I've got free weekends to work on it.
During the week I typically just browse the internet for parts an do research on what upgrades I want to do.

I've even got a google document spreadsheet full of a parts list as well as all of the information I find online pertaining to what I plan on doing with my build whether it be wiring diagrams, shaving/tucking, body work, parts reviews, and pictures of ideas for my build.
Sounds like the smartest way to do it honestly. :thumbs up

Build's looking great!

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good luck!!! I never have any luck with those... same with balljoints!
Ever run into the welded on rear subframe nut breaking loose? The bolt running through the control arm and subframe is just spinning for me. Rusty cars are so much fun. :lol:

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sounds like the smartest way to do it honestly. :thumbs up

Build's looking great!
Thanks man!! Got a bunch in store in the future for sure!

Ever run into the welded on rear subframe nut breaking loose? The bolt running through the control arm and subframe is just spinning for me. Rusty cars are so much fun. :lol:
I ALWAYS encounter those rear bolts being a problem! The one through the LCA and strut give me trouble along with the one on the subframe too. I forget if that has the welded nut on the body or what, but typically it snaps off and just spins inside the bushing where its stuck. I've have to cut them apart on at least 2 cars already! Makes me so angry every time!

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gotta love pulling engines from the bottom. I've done it three times now in my driveway that's laid with stone. I haven't seen the hatches in so long.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What ever happened to that gsr I sold you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Updates for you fools!

Started to work on the engine bay.. its going to be a long process shaving all of this crap!

Removed the front radiator support. I would like to try and make it bolt on instead of weld on so then once everything is ready I can literally just roll the motor straight in and then simply bolt the front end on and be done!

Also trying to get rid of the ugly factory seam sealer and smooth it out as best as I can. This is definitely time consuming and a pain in the nuts.

Before shot.. forgot to take an after shot with all of the brake lines removed. They'll all be tucked inside the car, none of that ugly firewall brake line setup.

Them ugly welds bro!

Passenger side started..

Driver side started...

Hoping to do a bit more work this weekend.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bolt in core support would be easy.

Get a wire wheel for a grinder and zip that seam sealer off quick.

I say you cut panels and weld in smooth parts like Greg was supposed to do on his civic before became a fag...

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Last edited:

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Bolt in core support would be easy.

Get a wire wheel for a grinder and zip that seam sealer off quick.

I say you cut panels and weld in smooth parts like Greg was supposed to do on his civic before became a fag...
Got a grinder wheel and started doing the seam sealer tonight. I'm debating on just re-doing it nicely unlike the factory stuff globbed on.. welding all of the seams is going to be a pain :( .. Greg should come do it for me. I'm a terrible welder!

Put panels in smooth in which places? Like the giant old grommet holes for the factory harness? Or you talking on the firewall where its got the OEM stamped lumps to it?

I'm keeping a brake booster and master cylinder unlike most of the guys that do the booster delete.. this car WILL see the street so I want legit brakes.