Wipers over extend

domindart

Wipers hit the sides of the windshield and grille area every time they wipe. Makes loud noise, bothersome...I was told by dad it may be a gear in the wiper motor or something. Anyone know what to do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
remove them and move them a tooth or a couple teeth up.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do you have the correct wipers and are they on the correct side? Too long of wipers would do the same thing.

domindart

Hmm. I think they are the original wipers.. my dad said there may be a gear that needs replacing?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gear isn't separate from the motor if that is what is wrong.

Original wipers on a 10+ year old car! I am guessing that they are the wrong ones and are not the originals.

Need more information. What car are you working on? Put up a pic or a video of where they are hitting.

domindart

Ok I'll get a video up

It's a 01 4 door civic

Last edited:

domindart

uploadfromtaptalk1436573533517.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1436573585163.jpg
Here is a pic of them. ..having trouble getting video to upload on phone.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pop the cap un-bolt it and move it i already told you what to do ???

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wrong blades, I can see they are too long just by the pics.

BTW, they are definitely not original. Honda didn't use European style Aero blades. Those look like Icons.

domindart

I'll play around w them..move them a few teeth and see.
But I'm guessing it won't help seeing as they hit both sides.

Then I'll look into replacing the blades.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im confused did you just buy the car did you replace the wipers and they just started hitting ???

domindart

They've hit ever since I've had the car... had it a while now and was told by my dad it was fixable..

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That passenger side wiper arms looks completely wrong. Maybe it's just me, but shouldn't it be bent the other way?

Like this:

domindart

Talked to my dad and he thinks it may be a bushing in the linkage.... going to look into that further.......thanks for all the help thus far..... it's hard for me to mess with it now cause I'm out of town at my aunts house. When my laptop is fixed going to try and get the video up too. Thanks for the patience.

Happiours

Talked to my dad and he thinks it may be a bushing in the linkage.... going to look into that further.......thanks for all the help thus far..... it's hard for me to mess with it now cause I'm out of town at my aunts house. When my laptop is fixed going to try and get the video up too. Thanks for the patience.

I have a similar problem. I just bought a 2001 coupe. The linkage seems loose or there is a gear problem on the motor. I haven't taken the cowl cover off yet. I expect that I will have to buy a new assembly. Also the passenger side arm looks to be angled up which doesn't seem correct. If I buy a new one at the used parts place I may end up with another old worn out assembly. I plan to remove the cowl cover this weekend. Any suggestions?

dancam

Registered VIP
Did you measure the blades to make sure they are 21inch and 19inch?
Go stalking in parking lots. Find another 7th gen civic and see if their wiper arms are the same, your wiper arms may be wrong. Could be the bolts holding all the linkage is loose? Have to take your cowl panel off to check that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happiours

Thanks for responding. I do have the correct length blade replacements. I did not explain that the movement was erratic. And after looking at a few U-tube sessions, I suspect that the linkage bushings are worn out. It is about $75 for parts on line. That should solve it.

Tom

dancam

Registered VIP
Good to know. Please update this once you have replaced the bushings to tell us if that fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk