As if I wasn't busy enough...

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Clutch came apart on my wife today, in the middle lane of a busy intersection, in rush hour traffic.
120,000 miles, on an ACT AR1-SPSS performance clutch.

To get it out of the middle of the road, and moving, I told her to turn the car off, put it in 1st, and use the starter to get up speed and then drive it slowly in first until she could pull in and park somewhere. Kind of like popping a clutch, but backwards... sort of..

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
120k on a clutch ain't bad lol

What will you choose for the next clutch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Probably the same thing. it was aa good clutch. I liked the feel. Firm, but not too much for stop and go traffic.

To add to my run of luck though, my wife was supposed to come pick me up from work today, but she left the headlights on th is morning after dropping me off, and ran the battery completely dead. Had to bum a ride home with a co-worker.
I started paperwork for a lease vehicle today, but the sales staff dragged their feet all day.

pantyraid

=^.^=
Haha one of the only features that works on my poor little dumpy 6th gen is the thing that makes a super obnoxious noise if you open the door with the car off and the headlights on

They should have that in every car

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I got this taken all apart this week expecting to find an exploded clutch disk like the last time the clutch went out on me, but I didn't. Although worn almost to the rivets, the clutch itself was fine. Further investigation revealed that the clutch master cylinder that'd I'd replaced only a few months ago had popped the force feedback diaphragm, and wouldn't build pressure. I'd written it off, because I'd just replaced it, but there's apparently a known issue with failing clutch master cylinders from 2002-present, when installing aa higher clamp force clutch.... I guess I just got lucky on the first master cylinder.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, never have I been so wrong or so irritated by a clutch problem.... It wasn't the clutch, the master cylinder, or the slave cylinder.

It was something I've never seen before. The clutch pedal bracket had snapped apart..... as I was installing a new master cylinder, I found the bracket had completely snapped on one side.

So I welded it up... Don't laugh.. was my first time wire welding anything in 10 years or so...

@mymmeryloss was right about the flux core welder.... it was crazy difficult to even get the below welds out of it. And they're still embarrassingly bad!
But it'll work. And the cheapy welder will have just paid for itself.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks a lot like my welding ;) lol hey it works. Glad it was a relatively easy fix.

pantyraid

=^.^=
Well, never have I been so wrong or so irritated by a clutch problem.... It wasn't the clutch, the master cylinder, or the slave cylinder.

It was something I've never seen before. The clutch pedal bracket had snapped apart..... as I was installing a new master cylinder, I found the bracket had completely snapped on one side.

So I welded it up... Don't laugh.. was my first time wire welding anything in 10 years or so...

@mymmeryloss was right about the flux core welder.... it was crazy difficult to even get the below welds out of it. And they're still embarrassingly bad!
But it'll work. And the cheapy welder will have just paid for itself.

Haha it seems like he tends to be right about most things

But hey, who gives a crap how it looks if it gets the job done amirite?

It looks better than it did when it was snapped in two pieces =) (and I'm sure it's about a billion times better than it would be if I attempted something like that.. hmm why did my text predictor want to put 'suicide' after attempted :2confused)

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Totalled
https://goo.gl/photos/JZ5tkAcu9opgicFA9

Head on collision while my wife was making a left turn. The other driver was speeding and never hit their brakes.
The RX was knocked 180° and back 20 yards from where it was hit. Front end is crushed.
My wife and daughter are ok, but the other driver left unconscious in an ambulance.

Back to the drawing board...

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn son..

Glad the wife and kid are alright. Looks like the other driver will be buying your wife a new car.