Just got my first Honda and I want to make it faster

loganlee0201

Its a 1995 Honda Civic Ex. I changed out the thermostat, put a new fuel filter in it, and changed the spark plugs. What would be the next step towards making it a sleeper?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cold hard truth...nothing you have done to it will make it faster.

Reality time. Your motor was built for gas mileage. It doesn't get faster without a lot of money building the internals, swapping to a bigger motor, or boosting it. Bolt on's will do nothing in the way of reasonable power. All they will do is change the sound or the looks.

loganlee0201

Cold hard truth...nothing you have done to it will make it faster.

Reality time. Your motor was built for gas mileage. It doesn't get faster without a lot of money building the internals, swapping to a bigger motor, or boosting it. Bolt on's will do nothing in the way of reasonable power. All they will do is change the sound or the looks.
Oh I'm aware that stuff won't make it faster, i was just saying I had to put a little work into it to get running. And I now that she's running, i want to make her quick[emoji12]

Steven Johnson

Respected
Intake, Header, Exhaust, Intake Manifold....just basic starters. If you want true gains on an Ex, you'll need turbo.

Steven Johnson

Respected
Is chipping it a good option or would you recommend against it?

Chipping is a relative term, especially with this cars. If you're trying to tune it, the D series isn't easily tunable without upgrading your ECU, which is something I'd personally advice against unless you plan on turboing the D series. Again, it all factors into your budget and what you're trying to gain.

loganlee0201

It blows out white smoke from the exhaust every now and then. Could that be from the radiator? Or do I need a new head gasket?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It blows out white smoke from the exhaust every now and then. Could that be from the radiator? Or do I need a new head gasket?

White smoke is typically coolant. Signs of a head gasket going out.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its a 1995 Honda Civic Ex. I changed out the thermostat, put a new fuel filter in it, and changed the spark plugs. What would be the next step towards making it a sleeper?
Thats just basic maintenance. Get anything maintenance-wise done first before considering any serious engine upgrades.
Oh I'm aware that stuff won't make it faster, i was just saying I had to put a little work into it to get running. And I now that she's running, i want to make her quick[emoji12]
Just because its running doesnt mean its running well, as indicated by the potentially worn head gasket. Address any serious issues and all maintenance then weigh your options. But understand these cars are designed for fuel efficiency not performance. You need to be more specific on what "quicker" is for you.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
once you get all the maintenance out of the way, look into losing weight. Big amp and sub in the back? ditch it. Big wheels? go smaller and lighter. It's not going to break the sound barrier, but less weight for the engine to haul around will mean better acceleration and better braking. Plus, better fuel economy. And, it's a lot cheaper than trying to build up that engine.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good suspension and bushings will also make it "feel" "quick". It'll handle and respond to driver input better, making your butt dyno think it's faster