Project HX: Efficient Style

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's an updated shot of the trunk. I had to re-trim the panel beneath the sub box because it caused slight contact with the trunk arm. Now it sits perfectly and the trunk arm clears the box by millimeters. Please excuse the lightness of the picture as it was really sunny.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This weekends literally small project was finally converting the lone OEM chrome door-lock switch to a black one. I do not like chrome and eliminated it all from my Civic, excluding the seat belt buckles. I'll get creative with those at some point. I didnt want to paint the chrome switch because it just wont stand the test of time with so much daily contact.

I acquired a black switch from a 5th gen Civic. The black part of the switch is actually a snap-on cover. Unfortunately, the door-lock switch is all one piece. Using my Dremel tool I shaved down the chrome switch to accommodate for the black switch cover to slide on. You can clearly see the remaining chrome on the shaved switch.

I kept test-fitting the black switch cover until it seated nearly dead center on all sides. I was just slightly off but it was marginal and not an issue. Its worked just fine today with no issues. Do note if you try this to take your time shaving it down equally on all sides. Just the slightest bit off center and the switch will rub on the cover and impede its function. I didnt get to take a picture of it installed with good lighting today, but that'll come soon. Here's the switch remounted to the handle cover.

If all goes as planned, I'll have a new center console orientation by the end of the week. As usual, it'll be subtle, functional and clean.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's the latest little mod. I installed the lower center din console from a 1.5 EL Domani with a '01 Accord storage din. I say little mod because I had to shave off some of the upper part of the shift console in order for it to fit. Eventually, I'll post a clear picture.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I may not have done much in the "major" category today, but sometimes it just feels good to be productive in several small ways.

1. I flushed the tranny today and added AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modifier manual tranny fluid after much research. I'm pleased so far after 2 drives. Fortunately, my tranny had very little debris with just one easily visible shaving and the old fluid was crystal clear, which are great signs of tranny health.
2. I cut off the AC compressor belt since the compressor is shot and squealing. I might as well unleash the few extra ricer-coveted HP until I put in a new Sanden compressor, which wont be any time soon.
3. My 2 BMW horns weren't both engaging so I checked the plugs and ended up just cleaning up the wiring and tightening up the terminals. They're working fine now.
4. I tweaked my front grill and headlights for better fitment since they were a bit damaged after a fender bender last month. They look much better now.

I'm still contemplating weather or not to install the OEM EX spoiler I have.

Gladiator

Respected
Good looking ride! Love the interior, very simple.

EDIT: How does your exhaust setup sound? I'm getting ready to swap motors in my hatch (GSR swap) and have to figure out what to do with the exhaust. I'm new to Hondas, so I"m not sure what all options I have and what I need to do to obtain my goal. The goal is to have a nice, quiet, factory decibel exhaust system. I love the way your RSX-Type S muffler looks, how does it sound?

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good looking ride! Love the interior, very simple.
Thanks. Simple subtle style is the goal.

How does your exhaust setup sound? I'm getting ready to swap motors in my hatch (GSR swap) and have to figure out what to do with the exhaust. I'm new to Hondas, so I"m not sure what all options I have and what I need to do to obtain my goal. The goal is to have a nice, quiet, factory decibel exhaust system. I love the way your RSX-Type S muffler looks, how does it sound?
It's not at all ricey or loud as I detest obnoxious attention-seeking loud exhaust. I think it sounds very subtle and pleasing for a 115-HP stock engine with a MagnaFlow header/cat. I just tried performing a decibel reading using an app, but I have too many nearby sounds to judge how accurate the reading is. Not to mention that an app can only be so accurate, although this one seems impressive. It did peak at about 82 db on a hard high rev and averaged between mid-50s db and low-60s db on idle. I've been meaning to make a sound clip of the exhaust anyways, so I'll try to do one soon.

Be advised that I've posted 2 different muffler tips. The first being the actual '02 RSX-S muffler with the OEM bolt-on tip...

... and the latest one being a welded on MagnaFlow muffler tip.

Last edited:

Gladiator

Respected
Is the RSX muffler tip angled down slightly? I can't really tell from the pictures I'm seeing online. Yours looks straight, but ones that I'm seeing on eBay look a little off.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If I recall correctly, the '02-'04 RSX-S muffler tips were straight and the '05-'06 models were angled.

Gladiator

Respected
If I recall correctly, the '02-'04 RSX-S muffler tips were straight and the '05-'06 models were angled.
Gotcha, well.... I just ordered an 02-04 RSX Type S muffler! Hopefully it won't be too difficult to mock up the rest of the parts for the exhaust. Thanks for your help!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
20151103_135049.jpg
I used Seafoam spray cleaner in my intake manifold 2 days ago, as instructed except that I let it settle for a few hours before driving off the internal excess. It definitely blew out alot of white smoke in the process but it seems to have worked great so far.

I also picked up some used headlights for $20. They were yellowing (the driver side more than the pass. side) so I used 3M marine-grade polish, then TurtleWax rubbing compound, then Liquid Glass polish/ sealer, then finally TurtleWax carnauba wax. Here are the results...
20151103_145318.jpg

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Today around 3pm I decided to get the headlights done (swap painted inner frames to the newly polished set). I ended up doing several other little projects and touch-ups while I had the front bumper off. I organized a lot of wiring, combined some neighboring wiring looms in different areas surrounding the engine, installed the plug to the AC dryer (previously rigged thanks to the old owner cutting it off), readjusted the bumper alignment (slightly off from a fender bender), and finally cleaned up the wiring from my fog light install from a few years ago. My electrician friend helped me out but we were in a bit of a rush so it wasn't up to our usual standards. It came out very neat today. I cant believe all these little projects took me about 7-8 hours today. I would've taken some pictures of everything but I was exhausted after the next ordeal.

Unfortunately, by the late time I was nearly done with everything, I realized my car wont start or turn over. :wtf: Everything lights up, including the head lights and fog lights, but ignition wise it just does that repetitive tack-tack-tack sound. I put a booster to the battery for over an hour and still nothing. I'm guessing my 3 year old DieHard battery followed its namesake, but its still under warranty so off to Sears tomorrow. I disconnected the battery while cleaning up the fog light wiring, but I don't recall doing anything that could possibly affect the battery. I also haven't experienced a single symptom of a dying battery.

Gladiator

Respected
How's the weather been there? I'm in Georgia, and some parts here are getting really cold. The cold will kill a battery without giving much warning. Hopefully it's just the battery, if that doesn't work - peak around the starter just to make sure nothing came unplugged from it. It's a completely different area than where you were working, I realize, but I've accidentally tugged on something - that pulled on something else - which was attached to this - that unplugged the starter before. Good times...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It hasnt dropped lower than the mid-70s here, however, I just moved from Kentucky where it got very cold during winter and dropped below zero a few times in 2013. That exposure for 2 seasons couldve worn it down.

I'll also look into the starter wiring as I did wipe it down from oil residue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, it turned out to be a bad ground. The battery now tested to have more than enough juice, likely from charging it for no needed reason. I like to think I wouldve figured out the bad ground if I wasnt so tired with a stiff back at that point: "like to".

I figure everything was able to light up because I had just enough ground for the components but not enough to start the engine. I cleaned up the grounds, grinded the ground surfaces with my dremmel until I had a cleanly exposes area, covered everything with electrical lube then tightened it all up. Everything starts up fine now. On to reprogramming the radio.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Todays little project: bye bye, fuel injector shroud + slight wire tucking. I've never been a fan of that plastic shroud. I have a few ideas to make it look much cleaner & sleek but they'll wait until I have disposable income. Here are the injector wires free of loom & tape.
20151212_101307.jpg

Before I stripped all the loom & tape, I noticed the PCV tube was collapsed. Look closely in the picture below and you can see a crease in the center from collapsing under vacuum pressure. The tube you see is actually the shaft of a cheap aluminum stylus pen I had laying around. I cut it down to a length of the span of the collapsed tube section just prior to the bend. The collapsed shape is tight enough to hold the stylus tube in place. Otherwise, the stylus tube is just slightly smaller than the intake inlet and would fit through. I may just zip-tie it to ensure it doesnt slide in later.
20151212_094251-1.jpg
So with that little issue now taken care of until I want buy a new PCV tube, I finished up the injector wiring, including relooming by slicing the standard loom in half, and using self-infusing Rescue tape in place of electrical tape as its stronger and more heat resistant. I also rerouted the wiring to go underneath the fuel rail. The final product looks like...
20151212_115103.jpg

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For all the ricers, I removed the shroud and loom to shed weight. Now I unleashed an extra .000,000,000,1HP.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
About 2 weeks ago, I smoothed out then painted the 1.5 EL Domani Din frame because it was all scratched up. Its painted charcoal metallic as is the center console trim, outer emblems, & wheel center caps. 20151212_154835.jpg

conor97hx

That new center console looks great. I am going to have to start a new thread with updated pics of my HX, yours is still pretty big inspiration for the cleanliness of it. Keep it up man