D series build "can it be done"

Joshua Oliver

Hi guys, well this is going too be my first Honda build and I've decided I wanna make a fast d series, ii have a d16y5 which in my opinion is more than capable of transforming into what I'm looking for, others may disagree. My main question here is, without a turbo how hard will it be too reach/surpass the 200hp mark, would I be better off with another d series too start, and what am I going too be looking at roughly in cost. Like I said this is my first Honda build so I'm still learning. I don't wanna hear "swap it out for a b series" if I wanted one there would be one in it. Thanks guys

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im no swap expert but I do have a D16Y5 and 200+hp isnt possible on that engine without a turbo. If you do alot of internal upgrades and use a shorter geared tranny, I believe Ive heard of others getting to 160hp or so.

I think some combination of a D16Y8 head on the Y5 block will help, but I believe the D15B (aka D15z7) head would be better, but itd require converting to OBD1.

Again, Im only recalling the general info Ive read around. But looking into those options should help you.

Joshua Oliver

All in all, which d series would I have the Best chance of reaching 200hp w/o a turbo. I'm not by any means an expert either. This is my first honda, not my first build but my first ever build on a 4 banger. If you had too recommend anothet d series to build which would you choose?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From my knowledge, the japanese D15B (D15Z7) engine with the 3-stage vtec should be your best bet to get close to 200hp via all-motor. I believe it has the highest rated horsepower of any D-series, at 130hp stock. The D16Y5 ranks 2nd at 115hp.

Joshua Oliver

I was looking at JDM motors, so any jdm d15b will be the ticket? Their not year specific right. Sorry I can't really elaborate I'm on lunch break so time is tight

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When you have time, research the engine codes. D15Z7 is more specific but D15B (spelled just like that, without anything after the B) will help too. When you research the codes you see why. Truth be told, Im still not certain why its known under 2 codes.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want a 200hp n/a d series your probably looking at spending more than $8,000 when you can build a turbo d that is capable of 250hp for $3,000. I think the y5 is more than capable of 200hp, the only thing different on a y5 is the roller rocker valve train and the egr valve stuff on the intake manifold. Injectors are also different but you will be changing those out for 200hp either way

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you want a 200hp n/a d series your probably looking at spending more than $8,000 when you can build a turbo d that is capable of 250hp for $3,000. I think the y5 is more than capable of 200hp, the only thing different on a y5 is the roller rocker valve train and the egr valve stuff on the intake manifold. Injectors are also different but you will be changing those out for 200hp either way
This. There are so many threads on people asking about how to build a 200+hp all motor d-series or if it is even possible. I just read through a handful of them and guess what...not one of them actually achieved it. Some of them ended up scrapping the idea when they found out how much money and custom stuff is going to go into it and did a swap or ended up boosting.

Even the big dogs like Bisi have to drop a lot of dough and a lot of R&D to get that kind of a number out of a wee little d-series without forced induction or nitrous.

It's not that is isn't possible, it just isn't very financially feasible for the normal person that doesn't have access to one off parts and a team of builders that can stretch the dime.

Every step of the way in reading through posts, threads, and forums dedicated to this I have found that the only constant thing is that you need very deep pockets and someone that is able to do custom parts (manifold, cams, etc).

Google it. I guarantee you will come up with more than enough threads to dig through. It's been discussed for over a decade now. You aren't the first and certainly won't be the last. :thumbs up

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Play to the strengths of owning a honda. Endless off the shelf parts and a wide variety of "easy" engine swaps.

Joshua Oliver

I've been researching and its really detered me from wanting to start a build.. Say I was too swap, on a budget what's the best bang for buck, I heard b16 but I was looking for something with a bit more torque. I mean my d series gets the job done, its the tranny. It'd an hx, enough said about that. But say I was only to do a trans swap and stick with the d16, has anyone out there drove/ridden in a y5 with a swapped trans, and how truly much of a difference does it make. Thanks guys your helping alot

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If I had the drive to get another civic and had the cash to put down, K-series hands down. Best bang for your buck and responds very well to anything added to it. How big is your wallet though?

Trust me, d-series anything isn't worth it unless you boost it. You can swap heads and transmissions until you are blue in the face and will still be wanting more, much more. D-series was built for gas mileage and built slow for that reason. End of story.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I owned a boosted 96 hx d16y5, I had an ex transmission but I couldn't tell you how it felt vs a stock hx transmission because it was swapped when before I bought it

Joshua Oliver

I drive the hell outta my Honda, I try not too take it any higher than 4k because of 260k miles, but it gets around alright other than hills. I love my Honda I'm just looking for something with more oomph

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Other than to say you did it, WHY would you want to drop a lot of money into trying to build a 200hp n/a D engine? And why specifically the D series? Don't get me wrong, I like the single cam motors, but not loyal enough to put that much effort and money into that kind of project.
Also, why specifically 200hp? Have you driven a 200hp motored Civic before and look to recreate that experience?
If looking for more torque than what you have now, I would also recommend that b20 swap.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've been researching and its really detered me from wanting to start a build.. Say I was too swap, on a budget what's the best bang for buck, I heard b16 but I was looking for something with a bit more torque. I mean my d series gets the job done, its the tranny. It'd an hx, enough said about that. But say I was only to do a trans swap and stick with the d16, has anyone out there drove/ridden in a y5 with a swapped trans, and how truly much of a difference does it make. Thanks guys your helping alot

If torque is what you are looking for, B20 is the answer. I have one in my hatch and I love it. It will get you more torque then any other d or b swap, stock for stock. And you will most likely be able to get a B20 for a better price then a GSR or TypeR...

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Best bang for the buck swap IMO (with emphasis on the IMO) K24
I went from a HX civic to a K24. It's the only swap i've been happy with, with no regrets and I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything. I've had a B16, B18 ls, B18c, been in B20 swapped cars, K20 native and K20 swapped cars, in rode in H22 swapped cars. So im not as biased as it may seem, but I also have patience to save and build.