New exhaust and header/ o2 code

Nickflo07

I have a 2000 honda civic ex and just recently put a new exhaust from the headers all the back. My can now at times bogs at the take off when I first start the car. And now its throwing a o2 sensor code. I started to notice my gas mileage starting to suck. Can someone please help me on how to fix the problem. I have an o2 in front of the test pipe that I just spent $100 for a new one and I have an o2 right behind the test pipe.

Attachments

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are there any exhaust leaks between gaskets?

Nickflo07

Now that I think about it when I'm driving in town I kinda smell exhaust in the car. I may have one. Will that cause the car to bog when I first take off. It only does it once then it's fine after that.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Exactly what code are you getting?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You replaced the catalytic converter with a test pipe. You need a cat in there, otherwise the readings between the primary and secondary o2 sensor will be the same and that will trigger the CEL. The purpose of the cat is to filter the exhaust going to atmosphere. It uses the primary sensor to get the initial reading, then gets the second reading after that cat. The readings should be different, which is the ECU's way of knowing the cat is working properly. You removed it, so there's your issue... which is also why you smell it.

Replace the test pipe with a high flow cat and you should be fine.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You replaced the catalytic converter with a test pipe. You need a cat in there, otherwise the readings between the primary and secondary o2 sensor will be the same and that will trigger the CEL. The purpose of the cat is to filter the exhaust going to atmosphere. It uses the primary sensor to get the initial reading, then gets the second reading after that cat. The readings should be different, which is the ECU's way of knowing the cat is working properly. You removed it, so there's your issue... which is also why you smell it.

:agreed:

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you don't need to pass any type of inspection for your state, an O2 sensor defouler might solve your CEL problem.

Nickflo07

If you don't need to pass any type of inspection for your state, an O2 sensor defouler might solve your CEL problem.
I just passed inspiration 2 days ago with the test pipe installed so I'm going I'm ok lol. Where can I get me a defouler from and does it have to be stainless?

Nickflo07

Imma have to look into the high flow back.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
High flow cat over the crappy test pipe any day of the week for a daily driver. Save yourself the headache of trying to play games with getting the car to pass inspection.