98 civic ex possibly coming home

Mjp

I'm going to look at a 98 civic ex today that someone nearby is selling. She says that she's only owned the car for a few months and hasn't put the title in her name yet, but will do so before selling to me. The car is missing the steering wheel airbag, and she says it is hard to turn when making sharp turns, like u turns, or parking. There isn't any noise when the steering does this. No squeals, clunks, or grinds. Do any of you have an idea of what could be the issue? I'd like to guesstimate repair costs before signing the deal.
Thanks in advance.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A missing airbag and difficulty turning without observable noises makes me think this car was in a rough enough accident that something in the steering system was bent or damaged, thus making turns difficult. It could be any number of things ranging from a control arm to the rack & pinion and any combination in between. Tis is contingent on her honesty or lack thereof about what she knows is wrong with it. You should give it a thorough look-over or ask the owner if she'll allow you to take it to a shop. If the engine is solid, everything else is in good condition, you dont mind paying for some repairs, and the selling price is worthy then this may be a smart deal in the long run.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Check that power steering wasn't completely removed, too. Or at least the belt to the pump..

Like Hex said, see if she will let you get it looked at at a shop. If she says no, tell her to kiss your ass and that she can keep the car. If she says yes... good, lol.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
This makes me think that the power steering has been removed/disabled to some degree. Def get it checked out. If it's just power steering missing it could be a good deal. Depending on the price of course.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only reason why Im disinclined to think the power steering was removed is the missing airbag and the fact that its not yet titled under the owners name. Those two factors just dont sound right to me, but anything is possible. Theres also a chance that the original rack & pinion was damaged and replaced with a used manual one. Again, if these are acceptable factors for you and the negotiated price is fair then it may still be a great deal.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah the airbag part is sketch. Needs to be checked by a compent mechanic regardless.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why even go through the headache? This car has issues, coupled with the fact that she hasn't switched the title yet. I would pass. They are a dime a dozen.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Save yourself, time, trouble, money and headaches......walk away from it.

Bad_Karma

Respected
The air bag may have been removed bc someone put an aftermarket steering wheel on it and wanted to keep their steering wheel when they sold it so they bought one from a u pull it place. And they are not allowed to sell airbags.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
The air bag may have been removed bc someone put an aftermarket steering wheel on it and wanted to keep their steering wheel when they sold it so they bought one from a u pull it place. And they are not allowed to sell airbags.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk
Yeah that's a possibility, or it could have been stolen. Car could be cherry just without power steering. Wish there were some pics up here!