Poor gas mileage

Sherry Roberts

So about a week ago I bought a 2001 civic ex sedan. Next day I filled it up and reset the trip odometer. We changed the air filter and oil I did notice it had a after market gas cap. I filled the tank up again today and it took 11.6 gallons and the trip odometer read 155.2 miles working out to 13.3 miles to the gallon. I went straight to the Honda yard and put a Honda gas cap on any ideas on why the MPG is so low?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This could be anything from bad gas, to bad sensors, to poorly tuned car, to a leak, or even an odometer that isn't working correctly. There are too many variables.

When is the last time a full tune up was done on the vehicle? If you don't know, then do it all.

Then have it scanned for codes.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with Lethal6. A gas cap wont resolve anything. Perform a full tune-up and dont skimp on the brand parts. Are you receiving any Check-engine codes? I would assume so with such horrible MPG. Check out the link in my signature labeled "How To: Better MPG" for some ideas.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree with Lethal6. A gas cap wont resolve anything. Perform a full tune-up and dont skimp on the brand parts. Are you receiving any Check-engine codes? I would assume so with such horrible MPG. Check out the link in my signature labeled "How To: Better MPG" for some ideas.
Just a heads up; there are NO signatures on either the standard mobile version or tapatalk, of which more than 90% of the members are on with. You are going to have to link it now by hand unless op is on through a PC.

This is what the standard mobile version looks like now.

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am aware of that, which is in part why I stated the title so one could search for it as well.

Sherry Roberts

Sherry Roberts

I will check out the link. And do a full tune up but as of now I have no check engine codes showing. Thanks for the help I will check back if I have more questions.