Looking for recommendations

Boogi

So I just bought a 2011 Civic EX Coupe (sadly, automatic tranny), there are a few aesthetic mods (tinted windows, darkened lights, etc..) but, being a first-time Honda owner, what kinds of mods should I throw in her?

I have my eyes set on (as of now) on these two for sure;

http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/kn-69-series-typhoon-intake-systems

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/magnaflow-exhaust-systems

Is there anything else you vets can recommend for me to upgrade?

Thanks in advanced!

ldiaz04

maybe some window visors, lowering springs or coilovers, front and rear lips. id make it look good before any engine mods since it is an auto but that's just my opinion. hope that helps

Boogi

maybe some window visors, lowering springs or coilovers, front and rear lips. id make it look good before any engine mods since it is an auto but that's just my opinion. hope that helps
What lowering springs/coilovers do you recommend? Oh and front/rear lips too, haha

bairdandrew77

What's your budget? Considering it's an automatic, it's really not worth doing engine mods. Maybe a cheap intake if you like the "whoosh" sound they make and a basic exhaust. But remember this is only if you like those sounds and they won't make any noticeable difference especially considering the slushbox you have.

As for suspension, how low do you want to go? A simple 1-2 inch drop will be good for daily driving without worrying too much about scraping.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Boogi

What's your budget? Considering it's an automatic, it's really not worth doing engine mods. Maybe a cheap intake if you like the "whoosh" sound they make and a basic exhaust. But remember this is only if you like those sounds and they won't make any noticeable difference especially considering the slushbox you have.

As for suspension, how low do you want to go? A simple 1-2 inch drop will be good for daily driving without worrying too much about scraping.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
Agreed, I'm not looking to do anything major in the bay, however I wouldn't mind a 1-2" drop. Just give me your recommendations and we'll go from there.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tein, H&R Eibach are quality company's to look at for suspension mods

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shockd/struts om lowering springs makes the most sense for an engine with limited mods, as yours will be. Also Consider Koni struts. Just make sure you do NOT add lowering springs to stock struts because they wont hold up for long.

Boogi

Shockd/struts om lowering springs makes the most sense for an engine with limited mods, as yours will be. Also Consider Koni struts. Just make sure you do NOT add lowering springs to stock struts because they wont hold up for long.
So, lowering springs first, then shocks/struts? I apologize for the 'noobish' questions, lol, first time owning a Honda.
Also, would you recommend a magnaflow catback exhaust or a Skunk2? Now, I got the short end of the stick with an automatic, non-Si model.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No. Do lowering springs along with the struts. Do you researh cuz these topics have been covered thousands of times on multiple forums. I simply warn you not to use lowering springs on stock shocks.

As for exhaust, being that you have an automatic I dont think its worth doing any full cat-back. Save your money for other stuff and just get a quality muffler. Research muffler sounds on youtube if youre unsure.

Boogi

No. Do lowering springs along with the struts. Do you researh cuz these topics have been covered thousands of times on multiple forums. I simply warn you not to use lowering springs on stock shocks.

As for exhaust, being that you have an automatic I dont think its worth doing any full cat-back. Save your money for other stuff and just get a quality muffler. Research muffler sounds on youtube if youre unsure.
Thanks for the advice. I'm really liking the Flowmaster dBX muffler. HeX, if you were in my shoes, what would you add to her?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Please keep in mind that my suggestions are based on my background with older Civics and cars in general so there may be other options available to your generation Civic that I'm not aware of.

Aesthetically, I'd have to see pictures of your Civic to give my opinion. In regards to suspension, I'd go with Koni struts and Tein lowering springs. Which ones I'd specifically go for would depend on the size of rims you want, if you even plan to change them. As for exhaust, I'd opt for either a MagnaFlow muffler or the stock SI muffler (understanding it wont sound like an SI but will sound a bit better). I personally don't like the sound of Flowmasters on any 4-banger because they sound way too open. I feel Flowmasters are for V8s and up. Like I said earlier, I feel its pointless to upgrade the piping on a stock non-sporty engine.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe add the Si lip kit and rear trunk spoiler?

Boogi

Please keep in mind that my suggestions are based on my background with older Civics and cars in general so there may be other options available to your generation Civic that I'm not aware of.

Aesthetically, I'd have to see pictures of your Civic to give my opinion. In regards to suspension, I'd go with Koni struts and Tein lowering springs. Which ones I'd specifically go for would depend on the size of rims you want, if you even plan to change them. As for exhaust, I'd opt for either a MagnaFlow muffler or the stock SI muffler (understanding it wont sound like an SI but will sound a bit better). I personally don't like the sound of Flowmasters on any 4-banger because they sound way too open. I feel Flowmasters are for V8s and up. Like I said earlier, I feel its pointless to upgrade the piping on a stock non-sporty engine.
I plan on getting 18" wheels, if that helps any.

Maybe add the Si lip kit and rear trunk spoiler?
It's funny you say that because I had planned on getting an SI trunk or just the spoiler from one. Haven't checked out the lip kit yet.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First thing I would do would be to fix that hood, bumper, and the dings around the car. Kind of a waste doing cosmetic mods when the eye is drawn to the damaged body work. Makes me think of an ex co-worker that had full airbag setup and fancy wheels, only to have a smashed hood, and right front fender from an accident and his paint was all jacked up. It's one thing to lower the car, work on the suspension, and get the motor running right before doing body work but it looks like you have already started the cosmetic stuff...unless it was already on the car when you got it.

I would also remove the tinting on the lights. Never understood why people willingly darken and lessen their visibility from their head lights and tail lights. If someone rear ends you, they have claim to put you at fault on the basis that they "couldn't see the lights because of them being too dark". Less so with l.e.d. tail lights, but why risk it?

Boogi

First thing I would do would be to fix that hood, bumper, and the dings around the car. Kind of a waste doing cosmetic mods when the eye is drawn to the damaged body work. Makes me think of an ex co-worker that had full airbag setup and fancy wheels, only to have a smashed hood, and right front fender from an accident and his paint was all jacked up. It's one thing to lower the car, work on the suspension, and get the motor running right before doing body work but it looks like you have already started the cosmetic stuff...unless it was already on the car when you got it.

I would also remove the tinting on the lights. Never understood why people willingly darken and lessen their visibility from their head lights and tail lights. If someone rear ends you, they have claim to put you at fault on the basis that they "couldn't see the lights because of them being too dark". Less so with l.e.d. tail lights, but why risk it?
I've not added or taken anything away since I got it. I already planned on getting a hood and a kit. I already found a hood I liked, which is why I didn't ask for recommendations for it. I also planned on getting http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2011-Honda-Civic-Coupe-FG-Shiny-Dark-Black-Halo-Projector-LED-Headlights-/231183851095?fits=Year%3A2011|Model%3ACivic|Submodel%3AEX|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A1.8L&hash=item35d3a19e57&vxp=mtr

The back lights aren't tinted but the front ones are.

ldiaz04

If it was me, id get OEM headlights and have them retrofitted(for better visibility) instead of the ebay stuff. OEM hood as well. but that's me. I like the OEM look with small mods

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it was me, id get OEM headlights and have them retrofitted(for better visibility) instead of the ebay stuff. OEM hood as well. but that's me. I like the OEM look with small mods
This. Most here would agree as well. Those headlights are ricey as hell, but if that is what you like...rice away it's your money and you are the one that has to look at it everyday as well as take all the flack and flaming for it.

Keep in mind, like Idiaz said, the quality is going to be very low and the fitment is probably going to be very terrible. OEM with a proper retrofit done is hands down, the way to go.