Civic Sedan in the snow?

ToniStar84

I am looking to lease a civic sedan ex 2015. I live in Brooklyn, NY and we get cold winters with snow. I currently drive a 2007 Scion tC and it is horrible in the snow. I can't even drive it because I slide all over the road. Wondering if anyone can tell me how the Civic Sedan handles in the snow??

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Front wheel drive vehicles are excellent for the snow as the weight is very high in the front. What do you mean slide all over though? Any car is going to slide if the wrong traction tires are on it and snow driving techniques aren't utilized.

ToniStar84

Thanks for the response. My scion has front wheel drive I believe and it is horrible. I am selling it for that reason. I can not stop well in the car during the slightest bit of snow and I have all weather tires. I slide right into intersections which is really dangerous. I have been looking at crossovers with all wheel drive but realky have my heart set on a civic sedan

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, your scion is front wheel drive.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a set of WINTER tires. They are made for snow and ice whereas all seasons are a mixture of all of them, but are not great in one specific road and weather condition.

NO car is going to make you STOP better in the snow and ice. That is on the driver. Slow down, get the correct tires (possibly studded if you are having that much trouble navigating the ice and snow) and take it easy. There are people in alaska, canada, and all over the world that drive in snow and ice for most of the year and they do just fine with civics and any other front wheel drive vehicle. Trick is to learn how to properly and safely navigate the roads for the condition. To be quite honest, if you are sliding into the intersections, you are going way to fast for the conditions you are in, or are treating it like a dry road and not coming to a stop slower than you normally would.

A different car such as an all wheel drive vehicle would get you going better, but like I said, nothing is going to help you stop better (outside of great snow and ice tires), but yourself. Your scion is going to be no different than a Honda in your situation. Sounds like most of it is driver training. You need more time learning the feel of stopping on the ice and slush.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The narrower the tire, the better in snow. Invest in some snow tires and you should notice an improvement.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
FWIW my friend, with winter tires in a tC, slid off the road during a bad snowstorm. She smoked her face on the window and was all loopy talking about UFOs when we were visiting her in the hospital :lol: She's all good though.

But yeah, the best thing you can do for your car is get winter tires. They make a world of difference.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
FWIW my friend, with winter tires in a tC, slid off the road during a bad snowstorm. She smoked her face on the window and was all loopy talking about UFOs when we were visiting her in the hospital :lol: She's all good though.

But yeah, the best thing you can do for your car is get winter tires. They make a world of difference.

Ouch. :lol: UFO.

Sliding off the road in a bad storm and sliding "all over the road" and "sliding right into intersections" are totally different. We have all been there from time to time, but if it is happening constantly when it is icy out, there is more behind it. Either bad tires or driving beyond the conditions.

ToniStar84

Do yourself a favor and invest in a set of WINTER tires. They are made for snow and ice whereas all seasons are a mixture of all of them, but are not great in one specific road and weather condition.

NO car is going to make you STOP better in the snow and ice. That is on the driver. Slow down, get the correct tires (possibly studded if you are having that much trouble navigating the ice and snow) and take it easy. There are people in alaska, canada, and all over the world that drive in snow and ice for most of the year and they do just fine with civics and any other front wheel drive vehicle. Trick is to learn how to properly and safely navigate the roads for the condition. To be quite honest, if you are sliding into the intersections, you are going way to fast for the conditions you are in, or are treating it like a dry road and not coming to a stop slower than you normally would.

A different car such as an all wheel drive vehicle would get you going better, but like I said, nothing is going to help you stop better (outside of great snow and ice tires), but yourself. Your scion is going to be no different than a Honda in your situation. Sounds like most of it is driver training. You need more time learning the feel of stopping on the ice and slush.
Thanks for the response. I really want a Civic and I am watching youtube videos on how they handle in the snow. I also read they have traction control button to prevent sliding.
I know AWD is better than FWD but I am not a truck person and most trucks and crossovers have AWD and 4WD.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There are MANY different cars that have AWD. Might want to look into that. It isn't just reserved for trucks and suvs. Ever heard of Subaru? AWD is their main draw, as are just about every generation and model of VW, just to name 2.

ToniStar84

There are MANY different cars that have AWD. Might want to look into that. It isn't just reserved for trucks and suvs. Ever heard of Subaru? AWD is their main draw, as are just about every generation and model of VW, just to name 2.
Don't think there is a need to be rude. Thanks. I have heard of a Subaru....but obv not the car I want. Just wanted some feedback from people who drive Civic's

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

I agree with him 100%. The fact that you didnt even know if YOUR vehicle was front or rear-wheel drive makes me further think that you need to practice better and safer driving skills. Perhaps ask friends to teach you, if you're humble enough to ask.

The narrower the tire, the better in snow. Invest in some snow tires and you should notice an improvement.
This is also very true. My narrower all-weather tires did make a difference this past winter.

Don't think there is a need to be rude. Thanks. I have heard of a Subaru....but obv not the car I want. Just wanted some feedback from people who drive Civic's
He said absolutely nothing rude. Your description sounds like you may be a hard sudden braker, which is horrible to do in icey conditions. Subarus are arguably the best AWD vehicles and do great in icey roads. You might as well just wait to car search until winter so you can test drive in similar weather your concerned with. Test drive Subarus anyways just to have a basis of comparison.

And for the record, I had similar concerns prior to moving to Kentucky and almost purchased a truck for better traction, but the members here advised me correctly. My 1997 Civic WITHOUT traction control handled just fine largely due to my driving skill. Slow down, accelerate slowly and start braking earlier than usually, also slowly. Keep further distance between the cars ahead of you as well. You shouldnt drive anywhere near higher speed limits, especially if sliding is a regular occurrence for you thus far.

ct.yankee672

Respected
I live north of you in Connecticut, and was able to handle the past 5 winters with all-season tires and no traction control in my 2009 Civic LX sedan auto.

Sent from my E2281 using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LOL at rude. Don't see anything rude about my reply. You said you weren't a truck person and said AWD was for them and suvs. Where in that was anyone supposed to know you knew any better and like Hex said, the fact that you didn't know your car was FWD led me to believe that you had no clue. Sorry, you took offense to it. Only working with the limited information you are willing to provide.