Go Autoworks Build Advice

Blake Zimmerman

Respected
Whats up cc, looking for your advice on my build plans!

I have a 98 civic coupe, with a full 2000 si B16a2 swap. The swap has full bolt ons (IHE, skunk2 port and matched throttle body, Blox intake manifold, AEM fuel rail) internals are stock. The engine and tranny have approximately 100k with matching vins and are very healthy, swap has been in my car running for a year with no problems. I plan on purchasing a Go Autoworks Turbo system and need some help. My goals are 250hp on a conservative tune maybe 8 or 9 psi (depending on turbo size).

This is my daily driver and i want it to be reliable, I do not beat on the car and while I am at school the car gets minimal use. My budget is around 4k including the turbo system, and everything not included in the kit (computer, tuning and fuel management).
What Go Autoworks turbo system would be a best fit for my needs? I know ball bearing turbos are more desired, but will a garret journal bearing from there "street kit" give me the power and reliability I want? or a different kit?
What injectors and pump should I use with this build, or can I use the stock ones?
What computer is good for this setup, interested in quality hondata, but which computer? S300?, flashpro?

Thanks for any and all feedback

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The street kit with the cast manifold should easily allow you to reach your goal of 250 whp.
Injector Dynamics injectors are well liked, but might be more than what you need for your goals. RDX 410cc injectors could be considered, I'd suggest speaking with your tuner. Walbro 255lph for your fuel pump.
Hondata S300 with a P28 or equivalent OBDI ecu.

Other than that I would suggest a 3" exhaust set up. Good luck with the build.

Blake Zimmerman

Respected
The street kit with the cast manifold should easily allow you to reach your goal of 250 whp.
Injector Dynamics injectors are well liked, but might be more than what you need for your goals. RDX 410cc injectors could be considered, I'd suggest speaking with your tuner. Walbro 255lph for your fuel pump.
Hondata S300 with a P28 or equivalent OBDI ecu.

Other than that I would suggest a 3" exhaust set up. Good luck with the build.
Thanks for your help, right now I have a 2.5 MagnaFlow catback, will look into the 3 inch. [emoji3]

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for your help, right now I have a 2.5 MagnaFlow catback, will look into the 3 inch. [emoji3]

That could definitely be a future upgrade if you already have the 2.5 inch set up

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

I did a B18 turbo build with the exact budget and goal as you. Hit 242whp and 210tq on the dyno, which was close enough for me. The price of Gregs street kits have gone down a good bit since I purchased it in 2010 -- good news for you.

I had GA street kit, .60 trim turbo but Greg put .50 trim internals in there based on when we discussed my driving habits and use, etc. Engine was all stock except for ARP head studs to prevent the head from lifting under boost. Was at 9psi with a 10lb wastegate spring.

I did not decide to get ID injectors originally, however when I brought the car to the tuner, they highly recommended them, so I went with 720cc ID injectors. I originally had DSM blue tops but the resistor box wiring looked ugly.

Definitely 255lph fuel pump. You have a lot of tuning options, I ended up going with stand alone Neptune.

I also did a 3" exhaust. For this, I went with a stainless ebay catback. With the addition of boost, it totally changes the way your exhaust sounds. I wish I had an audio clip to show you, but it really did sound pretty good; no rasp or ricey sound that you would expect from a random n0-name eBay store. I bought a Vibrant muffler to put on, but ended up sending it back and keeping the one that came with the eBay setup. If you get a 3" exhaust, I recommend getting a 3" downpipe too. No AC though.

You should talk to Greg @ Go-Autoworks. Very friendly guy and will help you out with everything you need based on how and when you drive. He also stands by everything he sells. I had a turbo clamp break on me mid install one day, hit Greg up to have him send me another, and he overnighted me 5 of them free of charge.

Blake Zimmerman

Respected
:welcome:

I did a B18 turbo build with the exact budget and goal as you. Hit 242whp and 210tq on the dyno, which was close enough for me. The price of Gregs street kits have gone down a good bit since I purchased it in 2010 -- good news for you.

I had GA street kit, .60 trim turbo but Greg put .50 trim internals in there based on when we discussed my driving habits and use, etc. Engine was all stock except for ARP head studs to prevent the head from lifting under boost. Was at 9psi with a 10lb wastegate spring.

I did not decide to get ID injectors originally, however when I brought the car to the tuner, they highly recommended them, so I went with 720cc ID injectors. I originally had DSM blue tops but the resistor box wiring looked ugly.

Definitely 255lph fuel pump. You have a lot of tuning options, I ended up going with stand alone Neptune.

I also did a 3" exhaust. For this, I went with a stainless ebay catback. With the addition of boost, it totally changes the way your exhaust sounds. I wish I had an audio clip to show you, but it really did sound pretty good; no rasp or ricey sound that you would expect from a random n0-name eBay store. I bought a Vibrant muffler to put on, but ended up sending it back and keeping the one that came with the eBay setup. If you get a 3" exhaust, I recommend getting a 3" downpipe too. No AC though.

You should talk to Greg @ Go-Autoworks. Very friendly guy and will help you out with everything you need based on how and when you drive. He also stands by everything he sells. I had a turbo clamp break on me mid install one day, hit Greg up to have him send me another, and he overnighted me 5 of them free of charge.
Good to hear, and thank you. are you happy with the way your car turned out? Is the turbo and other parts still holding up? Why no ac with the 3 in. Exhaust? I see all of his kits are ac comparable and I am running ac right now. Thank you very much

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Good to hear, and thank you. are you happy with the way your car turned out? Is the turbo and other parts still holding up? Why no ac with the 3 in. Exhaust? I see all of his kits are ac comparable and I am running ac right now. Thank you very much

I checked his site, back when I made the purchase he didn't have the 3" flared option; it was either 2.5" w/AC or 3" w/ no AC. So my mistake on that!

As for my car, the parts themselves held up great. I parted it all out last year because the body itself fell victim to rust and rot. Had 14-15k on the setup and never had any issues other than with the tuner (he was a d**k and tried to get get money $ out of me; he is no longer in business).

Simply put, if it weren't for the rust and rot on the body, I'd still be driving her today. Much more fun than the G35 that I had or the RSX that I currently have... I miss boost lol

Blake Zimmerman

Respected
I checked his site, back when I made the purchase he didn't have the 3" flared option; it was either 2.5" w/AC or 3" w/ no AC. So my mistake on that!

As for my car, the parts themselves held up great. I parted it all out last year because the body itself fell victim to rust and rot. Had 14-15k on the setup and never had any issues other than with the tuner (he was a d**k and tried to get get money $ out of me; he is no longer in business).

Simply put, if it weren't for the rust and rot on the body, I'd still be driving her today. Much more fun that the G35 that I had or the RSX that I currently have... I miss boost lol
Geeze man rust is a sad story with these cars! but I think I found a good tuner close to me so shouldn't have that problem lol. I can't wait to have boost, always been a dream! Thanks brotha

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Geeze man rust is a sad story with these cars! but I think I found a good tuner close to me so shouldn't have that problem lol. I can't wait to have boost, always been a dream! Thanks brotha

You'll be hooked the minute you drive the car away from the tuner. Keep us posted on how it goes!

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I pieced my go autoworks kit together over a years time and after all shipping and stuff I think I paid 3300 for his middle range kit. The kit is now on my second civic making 222whp 179tq on a d16y8 with 7psi, if your only looking for 250 whp I would suggest a t3 60 trim with a .60ar housing as mine has great response and pretty good power with a little more room to grow. I'm not sure about all of the stock fuel pumps but I know hondata has tested an em1 fuel pump at 300whp, I'm running my stock y8 fuel pump at 222whp and it's working just fine. If your not sure you want to risk it just upgrade since fuel pumps are cheap but I wouldn't get a 255lph, the 190lph are much quieter from what I hear and support like 300hp.

Engine management is up to who tunes the car really but neptune is well supported and has some features like anti theft that hondata does not, but hondata has features that neptune doesn't have also. I'm running Fuel injector clinic 525cc injectors and I have not had any issues in 3 years of owning them, I would suggest contacting hi-profile about injectors on d-series.org he has pretty good deals and I believe their products are slightly cheaper and better than injector dynamics.

Blake Zimmerman

Respected
I pieced my go autoworks kit together over a years time and after all shipping and stuff I think I paid 3300 for his middle range kit. The kit is now on my second civic making 222whp 179tq on a d16y8 with 7psi, if your only looking for 250 whp I would suggest a t3 60 trim with a .60ar housing as mine has great response and pretty good power with a little more room to grow. I'm not sure about all of the stock fuel pumps but I know hondata has tested an em1 fuel pump at 300whp, I'm running my stock y8 fuel pump at 222whp and it's working just fine. If your not sure you want to risk it just upgrade since fuel pumps are cheap but I wouldn't get a 255lph, the 190lph are much quieter from what I hear and support like 300hp.

Engine management is up to who tunes the car really but neptune is well supported and has some features like anti theft that hondata does not, but hondata has features that neptune doesn't have also. I'm running Fuel injector clinic 525cc injectors and I have not had any issues in 3 years of owning them, I would suggest contacting hi-profile about injectors on d-series.org he has pretty good deals and I believe their products are slightly cheaper and better than injector dynamics.
Wow very impressive numbers, I'm convinced go autoworks is the way to go lol. do you remember what you paid for the tuner? Just so I can get a ball park number. I'm not sure if 4k is enough for this whole set up. But great information that helps alot, I'm very impressed by club civic lol

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First tuner gave me a deal I believe, he charged 160/hr back then and I had a schedule for 11am and he didn't get me on the dyno until like 12:30pm, I was on the dyno for 3-4 hours and he only charged me 160$. The second tuner (moved everything over to my sedan) did a shitty job and I was charged 250 for a tune that was horrible, car bucked and bogged after changing gears and getting on it and I had hot and cold start issues because of the tune. I highly recommend doing research on your tuners near you and then finding which system they use and like the best, just think about it, we're you raised on a windows pc or a mac all your life and then tried switching systems? You probably can get by but your not going to be optimized for all the quick speedy shortcuts which would translate to a tuner taking longer and costing more.