Hi guys, new here. I have a thermal stat problem

myciviclife

After attempting to flush my coolant and replacing my existing tstat that I purchase from napa, I noticed fan doesn't turn on as I'm trying to add coolant once it cycles. I ran it for about 40 min not to mention working this at midnight, and my fan doesn't come on to cycle the coolant to engine. It doesn't show over heating just yet. Wondering if it could be a cold temp as it's midnight? I'm in California SoCal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you checked the fuse for the fan?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Run it again with the hood closed to trap some of the heat. It probably is just not getting warm enough.

Also wanted to mention, the fan turning on or off has nothing to with your coolant circulating. Your water pump does that. The fan just pulls more air through the radiator to improve heat transfer. The fan "should" come on when the sensor gets to the specific temp. Fill up the the rad, put the cap on, start the car, let it warm up, then check to see the system is pressurized by squeezing the upper and lower rad hoses. You can also carefully and slowly take off the rad cap. Then add more fluid as needed.

myciviclife

Run it again with the hood closed to trap some of the heat. It probably is just not getting warm enough.

Also wanted to mention, the fan turning on or off has nothing to with your coolant circulating. Your water pump does that. The fan just pulls more air through the radiator to improve heat transfer. The fan "should" come on when the sensor gets to the specific temp. Fill up the the rad, put the cap on, start the car, let it warm up, then check to see the system is pressurized by squeezing the upper and lower rad hoses. You can also carefully and slowly take off the rad cap. Then add more fluid as needed.

Thank you! I guess the temp wasn't warm enough that night. I ran my car during the day and now fan came on and upper and lower rad hoes feel stiff and pressurize. Ty

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Thank you! I guess the temp wasn't warm enough that night. I ran my car during the day and now fan came on and upper and lower rad hoes feel stiff and pressurize. Ty

Excellent! Double check your coolant level now that the entire cooling system has been circulating.

myciviclife

On my last flush I only unplug the drain plug on my radiator (did not remove not my tstat and hoes) can I fill up only the radiator cap and close them up then fill the reservoir? I do not to bleed it by opening my rad cap and let it idle right?

Right now I had just fill my radiator with coolant and fill my resevior tank up and been running around for an hour to store. Is this ok

myciviclife

My last flush I meant I had bought a flush liquid to use with and drained one time. So I poured the flush bottle on my rad, drove for about two days then drained the rad also replaced my tstat and coolant gush out. Filled with distillers water and drove for about a day then today I drained it and filled with coolant. Is this ok

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Myciviclife, you're all over the place and writing poorly. Think first then slowly write a clear explanation in order. It sounds like you did two flushes, but perhaps one was a cleaning flush. So what was the other? If you didnt remove the thermostat during a flush using water hose pressure then you didnt clean your system properly and did this all wrong. When referring to "adding coolant" also clarify if youre using pre-mixed coolant or youre trying to mix it yourself.

myciviclife

Sorry about that. My problem here is more of a question now if I'm doing my procedure correctly and is safe for my car.

What I had done to my 2000 civic ex coupe was I bought a flush cleaner to clean out my sludge and for some reason has oil on top oft reservoir inside

I empty out my radiator by the drain plug, closed it up and added the flush/clean bottle then topped it with distiller water.

I ran it for about two days then empty the radiator again, also decide to replace the tstat. when I replaced the tstat, coolant rain in engine gushed out so I completely empty the water inside right? Anyway

After replacing tstat I close everything up and filled with distilled water and ran it (this is when I came on here asking why my fan doesn't kick on) but that problem is solved. After this last run I empty out my radiator again by flushing through drain plug.

I then filled it up with 50/50 coolant to the neck and filled up my reservoir to the max, I ran it for 2 hours and the reservoir went down about to half marked

Just want to know if this is ok?
I want to make sure I'm not causing any problem? I don't think I will have air bubbles because once the pressure is high air bubbles would flow out the reservoir

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah man you should be fine. New thermostat, fan is kicking on, engine not overheating, coolant level correct. #goodtogo

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You still didnt completely flush the system and will have old fluid in there. You need to remove the thermostat and run a hose through the engine block and radiator to flush everything out. Consider installing new hoses so you dont have to tough the system again for several years. Once its all back together, you should run the car and add pre-mixed fluid. Thatll slowly release the air and drop the fluid, letting you know to add more. Thats the right way to bleed the air out and ensure the system is full and clean.