Help With Door Lock Please!!!

Jon Brady

Hey guys. I recently purchased a 96 Honda Civic EX and am trying to fix someone elses problems on this car. The power door lock was working and then just quit out of no where. Now I can't lock the driver door from the inside unless I hold the door handle open and pushing the lock to lock it manually. If I try to push the lock without holding the handle open, when I do it feels like its fighting against me but when the handle is open, its no problem. The passenger side is fine and has no problems. Im not really worried about the power locks but I would like to atleast be able to use it manually. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks for your time.

Jon B.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
FYI if the door is open you cannot lock the doors without holding the handle open and pressing the lock button, it's a safety feature so you don't accidently lock the door then shut it

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you able to lock the passenger door from the driver lock switch?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You aren't supposed to be able to lock the driver's door without pulling the handle first. Like mc360 said, it's a safety feature. Most asian brands utilize this feature from what I have found.

Jon Brady

Oh ok. The power locks just quit on me so the power locks dont work at all anymore. Ive checked the fuse and its good. What else should i check to get this p.o.s working again? The last owner was a jackass and had everything ghetto rigged

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bad switch, bad relay, broken wiring in the door panel, bad/hacked wiring....could be anything.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Most likely it's a broken wire in the c556 plug (believe that's the driver side, might be c557), I just fixed the wiring on mine and it was a bad ground. Ever since I bought this car over a year ago the door lock switch never worked (and sedans only have one switch) but yet my alarm would lock and unlock the doors, eventually my locks quit unlocking and I had to use the key after disarming my alarm, all because of a bad ground in the door harness.