1.7l non vtec....can't it be a little faster?

Andrew Nicholson

Hi. New to the forum. Picked up a 2002 5spd coupe with the terrible 1.7l non vtec motor, b17a1 I believe. Bought it as a backup dd and something for the gf to drive, regular daily is an 02 v6 accord coupe.

I have things pretty apart right now, the coolant crossover tube behind the lower intake manifold rusted out, and I just finished pulling the intake side of the motor apart to remove the tube.

Just wondering if there is ANYTHING I can do to make this thing just a bit quicker. It's so damn slow. Getting onto the highway is painful. Just looking for an extra 25hp or so to make it bearable hahahaha.

I am in the process of collecting parts for a 6spd manual swap on the V6 accord, and will be driving this painfully slow car while that is on the go...I don't think I can handle it at its current power level, lol. So if anyone knows of some reasonably cheap ways to squeeze a bit more out of this terrible motor, please help me.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not for that motor for cheap. Bolt ons are a waste. Only real power will come from a swap to a bigger motor or forced induction. It was built specifically slow for great gas mileage.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Andrew Nicholson

Kinda what I figured, was just curious of anything simple to do while in there, since it is such a common car and motor I assumed somebody must have managed to squeeze something out of it, guess I'll just have to grin and bear for a few weeks. It is really good on gas, gotta give it props for that I suppose hahaha.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, many have tried and barely squeezed enough out to make it worth the money. The question gets asked once a week probably. Bolt ons are good for sound and a very minimal amount of hp but nothing to call home about. It takes a good amount of money to make these fast.

dancam

Registered VIP
Keep it near the redline. I dont find them too slow, you just need them to be at 4500-6000rpm if you want to move quick, thats all. Downshift up hills. If its an automatic thats half the problem right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk