'98 Civic Hatch GS-R: SOLD!

House Special

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love the steely look. Not a big fan of silver but I like it. Let me guess, turbo GS-R?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn im jealous. I want a 6th gen hatch again...

Gladiator

Respected
Figured I'd do a little update, haven't done one in a while. The hatch has been running well, installed a new headunit along with front and rear speakers; it sounds decent, but I need an amp and sub in order to really get it to rumble the way I like. The suspension needs work, upper control arms are shot and are in desperate need of replacement. I've put together a list, with Steven's help, on everything I need in order to get this thing to ride great.

However, I've come across something that I wasn't expecting quite yet. Steven found me a civic for $1500 that housed a GSR motor. The car itself isn't worth much, the exterior has been.... neglected. The motor screams though. Long story short, this was Steven's dad's old car, sold to a close family friend, now sold to me. The motor is bone stock, minus a few odds and ends, but I'm excited to have found a motor so cheap - and one that the history is well known.

Haven't done much with it yet, except prep it for extraction and cleaned it. Once it's out, we'll give it a good cleaning, then go over the car with new seals and gaskets, etc... building the transmission to hold some serious power (for future mods down the road). I'm also planning on taking off the factory exhaust from the coupe, and fitting it on the hatch! Oh... I can't wait for the sweet sweet sound of silence!

Also, in other news - Steven's car was finally put together and ready for tuning. However... like all projects, a speedbump has delayed him yet again. Still - the car looks sharp!

Gladiator

Respected
Thats killer news
Yeah, I'm excited! Wasn't planning on getting a B18 anytime soon. I've already bought a few things for the swap, including a 99-00 Civic Si wiring harness, OBD2B to OBD1 Jump Harness, and EK9 Si Gauge Cluster. Hopefully we'll have the car back up and running within a few months. Some of these parts are a little pricey (ie the Quaife LSD, billet motor mounts from Innovative, etc) so it'll take me a while to get everything together, but we want to build it right.

Gladiator

Respected
Some updated photos from this weekend. Fairly productive - got the motor pulled and wiring harness, headers, and transmission removed from the B18. Didn't have the tools to pull the clutch out, but we'll get to that soon and get the motor on an engine stand. Then it's time for cleaning.... a lot of cleaning. This motor is filthy. Previous owner lived on a dirt road; a mile long dirt road... that was often mud.... and never washed the car. So, lots of sludge and grime to remove.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not bad. I bet that motor has had the f**k beat out of it tho. Might wanna check it out before you transplant

Gladiator

Respected
Not bad. I bet that motor has had the f**k beat out of it tho. Might wanna check it out before you transplant
I know where you're coming from, but the motor is fine. We know the history behind it. Took the 95 coupe for a spin before parking it, the motor is strong - idles great, sounds great, didn't overheat, etc...

Not a whole lot to report on, just cleaning. The motor and transmission were filthy. I've still got more cleaning to do, but they look 10x better now. Several parts have been ordered and are steadily showing up.

Can't wait to get this car back on the road!

Gladiator

Respected
Small update, had some parts delivered - still waiting on a few things before we get to the transplant.

What showed up:
- Innovative Billet Motor Mounts
- Avid Racing Torque Mounts
- Skunk2 Upper Control Arms
- OBD2B to OBD1 jumper harness

Still need to order:
- Samco Radiator Hoses
- New Clutch (not sure what I want to do here...)
- New CV Axles (not sure on this either...)
- Headers and possibly new exhaust
- Engine rebuild kit (ie seals, gaskets, water pump, timing belt, etc)

Gladiator

Respected
Got the motor pulled and palletized (if that's even a word) and possibly ready for a new home. Selling the D16Y7 and tranny for $350 - should fund something else for this project. Got the radiator hoses in the other day and ordered some stainless steel headers to start the exhaust work. Last thing, I primed and painted the transmission. Overall, things have been fairly productive the last few days!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love gunmetal colors. Will you also match the valve cover, maybe the header too?

Gladiator

Respected
Sold the motor (D16Y7) within 2 days of putting it up on Craigslist - which funded a few other parts. As of now, everything has either been ordered or is here.
- Acura RSX Type-S muffler (thanks to HeX for 'the push' needed on this one)
- Stainless Steel headers (some no-name brand for now, only $65)
- Import Direct CV Axles (from O'Reilly)
- various new gaskets, seals, water pump, etc (all OEM from Honda, thanks Steven)
- Gates Racing Timing Belt
- Competition Replacement Clutch, stock replacement (P/N 8026-STOCK)