Rack & Pinion bellows break ALL THE TIME...

Al Troiani

I have an EM1 and I have gone through about 6 sets of rack and pinion boots. When purchased, my car was so low you couldn't fit your fingers in the wheel wells in the back two tires. Since then I've upgraded my un-adjustable coil overs for a set of Tein Street Advanceds. To me, it looks like the proper height for a track car that can also be a daily driver, which was my goal. After installing them, I replaced both sides with the more expensive Moog rack and pinion bellows. Everything was fine for a month, month and a half until the driver side started leaking again. I'm willing to do anything because not only is it an inconvenience, but installing the part is a pain in the ass. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
They're tearing or what exactly?
I would make sure to use Honda clips and boots first. Second, make certain the outer side of the boot is pushed all the way on to the inner rod. My inner rod had an indent there.

Al Troiani

Little holes, what look like puncture holes from rocks maybe? Its never a tear, just little holes. Im thinking of wrapping them in tin foil in hopes that it will protect them, im just worried that i wont be able to see a leak if something else is causing it. What is the difference between a Honda bellow and the Moog bellow? The Moog bellow is the one that has lasted the longest and seems to be made of the thicker rubber. What do you mean pushed all the way? I am making sure the more open part of the bellow is wrapped around that metal lip on the inside if that's what you mean. Or are you talking about the more visible, smaller opening?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
If the rubber is either ripping or getting punctured I doubt foil will help. That'll rip up even more easily. What I mean by pushed all the way on is make sure the outer opening is pushed all the way on to the inner rod to the indent.
boot.PNG
Maybe the boot isn't getting pushed on fully and it's being over extended. Idk, just a thought.
And I'll add that thicker isn't always better. No pun intended. I tried to use the Moog boots and returned them right away. The Honda boots and clips are far superior with fit. At least on my vehicle.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I also say use the OEM parts. I've only replaced 1 of these on my car in the 10 years I've owned it...the other is still original by the looks of things. My car was a daily for the last 10 years and tracking for the last 3 or so years. Make sure that seating areas are clean and clear. Ensure the boot is positioned right and the clips are in place properly. While I've seen people just use zip ties on the inner side, because it is much easier, I'd still say use the OEM band clip.