2004 Civic has trouble with acceleration...

Colleen

I still think it may be in need of a valve adjustment because I went through the same issue. Even though I have the long-geared HX, it still felt like it should climb steep hills better. After the valve adjustment, it was a very noticeable improvement when going uphill along with overall better mileage.

Colleen, what is your average MPG? Not to doubt you, but we're all assuming your statement of "gas mileage is great" is accurate when you might be undervaluing it.
I'm not sure my exact MPG, but I drive about 50-60 miles a day (mostly highway) and I fill the gas tank about once a week, so that comes out to roughly 33 MPG.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do at least occasionally calculate exact MPG. that approximation could be off by 3-MPG give or take, putting you in a 30-36 approximate range. A 2004 Civic coupe should average about mid/high-30s in the city & low 40s on the highway while a sedan is about 3-4MPG lower on each. Comparing those numbers tells me your either a bit low on MPG or you have a heavy foot. Either way, a more precise MPG calculation will help paint a clearer picture.

dancam

Registered VIP
I tried it, and the RPMs went up like normal.
Ok, sorry i dont understand this well enough. You put it in 5th gear at 25mph and what happened? Did the rpms go up to 3000 or something and you sped up slowly? Or did they go down to 1500 and slowly creep up matching the vehicle speed?
Also, what did you use to clean that sensor the first time? If you used something that wasn't safe for sensors it may have messed up your oxygen sensors. And for that part or coils go to a wrecker. Stock parts for way cheaper. Especially when troubleshooting and you aren't sure if its the problem or not.
Something else to try. Disconnect your negative battery cable and turn your headlight switch to on. Leave it overnight or a few hours like that and then turn the headlight switch off, reconnect the battery and take it for a drive and see if there is any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colleen

Ok, sorry i dont understand this well enough. You put it in 5th gear at 25mph and what happened? Did the rpms go up to 3000 or something and you sped up slowly? Or did they go down to 1500 and slowly creep up matching the vehicle speed?
Also, what did you use to clean that sensor the first time? If you used something that wasn't safe for sensors it may have messed up your oxygen sensors. And for that part or coils go to a wrecker. Stock parts for way cheaper. Especially when troubleshooting and you aren't sure if its the problem or not.
Something else to try. Disconnect your negative battery cable and turn your headlight switch to on. Leave it overnight or a few hours like that and then turn the headlight switch off, reconnect the battery and take it for a drive and see if there is any difference.

When I put it in 5th at 25 mph, the RPMs went down pretty low (under 2000) and the RPMs and the vehicle speed struggled a little to go up (as would be expected).
I used throttle body cleaner from Advance Auto to clean it, but I noticed after that it said to do it while the engine was warm - I did it while the car had been sitting overnight. It was enough to make the check engine light turn off, but I didn't notice any improvement with anything.
And okay, I'll try that. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are we testing by disconnecting the negative battery cable?
Thanks for your response.

dancam

Registered VIP
When I put it in 5th at 25 mph, the RPMs went down pretty low (under 2000) and the RPMs and the vehicle speed struggled a little to go up (as would be expected).
I used throttle body cleaner from Advance Auto to clean it, but I noticed after that it said to do it while the engine was warm - I did it while the car had been sitting overnight. It was enough to make the check engine light turn off, but I didn't notice any improvement with anything.
And okay, I'll try that. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are we testing by disconnecting the negative battery cable?
Thanks for your response.
Ok, so its not your clutch slipping.
By disconnecting the battery and draining all the system power by turning the headlights on and leaving it sit for several hours you reset the computer of the car. If it detected something wrong or a sensor was sending a bad signal but now its fine this will reset all the codes and stuff.
Im still not sure why you would be doing 4000rpm at 70mph, it should be around 3000. I would say that maybe somehow your shift linkage is messed up and the transmission is going into 4th when you put it in 5th but thats highly unlikely and you say you have no power.
What size do your tires say they are on the sidewall? (Ex. 195/70 R14)
Is it possible for you to try driving another 7th gen civic thats a manuel to see what the difference is? Either a friends or a test drive at a dealer just so you know whats normal for this car? Did it do this right from new?

Last edited:

Colleen

Well, my Civic is totaled. I'm so bummed out. I loved that car. :(

But a huge thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I really do appreciate it. But I guess it's on to the next one now...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
? Totaled how?

Colleen

? Totaled how?
I was merging onto the highway the other night and the two cars in front of me decided to slam on the breaks and come to a complete stop at the yield sign just as I was glancing over my shoulder to check for traffic (there was none). I was going about 35 or 40, and I didn't even have time to notice he was stopped, so I slammed into the back of his truck, which caused him to rear end the car in front of him. My car is completely crunched beyond repair. And I'm at fault because I'm the one who hit him. Ugh. :(

dancam

Registered VIP
I was merging onto the highway the other night and the two cars in front of me decided to slam on the breaks and come to a complete stop at the yield sign just as I was glancing over my shoulder to check for traffic (there was none). I was going about 35 or 40, and I didn't even have time to notice he was stopped, so I slammed into the back of his truck, which caused him to rear end the car in front of him. My car is completely crunched beyond repair. And I'm at fault because I'm the one who hit him. Ugh. :(
Well, who else would be at fault? Hope nobody got hurt and have fun car shopping! Did you have collision insurance on it at least? And drive carefully in the future :p gonna go for a 7th gen again or something different?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did they say you were 100% at fault? I would think that even though it is a rear collision that the driver that stopped in the middle of an onramp with merging traffic behind him would be some what liable.

Either way, that really sucks. Glad everyone was ok. Cars can be replaced, people can't....

Colleen

I haven't heard back from my insurance company yet, but I'm most likely going to be at fault. Oh, well. Nothing I can do about it now.

But I'm not sure what I'm going to get. I want the exact Civic I had, but that's probably a pretty unrealistic goal... I doubt I could find one exactly like it. Maybe I should branch out.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't see why you couldn't being that these are and were very popular. They are everywhere and are a dime a dozen. Just have to look around and the right one will present itself.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sucks about the car, but glad you're ok!