Group 51R battery

Donahue

Respected
so i was doing some maintenance yesterday and i got to looking at my battery. the previous owner said he just replaced it, but it as a 51R instead of just a 51. its installed so that the posts are towards the bumper. its not a huge deal, except that the hood prop rod would be touching if not for the plastic shield on the positive terminal. ive currently got the rod just laying behind the battery in the space between the core support and engine. i was thinking of reversing the battery so that the terminals are in the rear, but it looks like i would have to extend at least the ground side. it looks like it connects to the fender, and then to the engine it self. what i couldnt quite tell on first inspection is if the engine connection was to metal or plastic, though i dont know why it would be to plastic. it is safe to remove the fender connection, if only temporarily? i dont plan on replacing the battery until it needs it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should always leave the grounds in, they should always be clean and clear of rust and corrosion, and should ALWAYS be to metal.