type r with Ls trans, need info

Joshua Oliver

Hey guys so I'm picking up a 97 civix ex coupe with a true jdm b18c type r, he says its matched with an Ls trans which kind of bummed me out because I know its high geared and has weak syncros. Just looking for some info if this thing will still get up and go or is it gonna feel like a dog with this setup. Motors stock other than a full exhaust and CAI.. Facts from people who have seen or had a similar setup would be appreciated

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gonna love the 5th gear for cruising that's for sure! (No sarcasm intended either)

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had the reverse basically, LS engine, GSR trans. It moved better than the LS trans, but mileage and screaming at 4k on the highway sucked. I would find a type r trans and swap an ls 5th gear into it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Joshua Oliver

Is it gonna be slow with this setup or will it still be pretty quick? (Sorry for such a ridiculous setup but this is the first b series I'll have owned, just looking for a rough idea what to expect)

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
It will be faster than an LS at least.

VTEC engines with VTEC transmissions will get good mileage, my GSR did 30+mpg in rural areas. Non Vtec engines with VTEC transmissions will get crappy mileage, I was barely getting over 20mpg with my B20/GSR setup.