O2 sensor for 04 HX

Donahue

Respected
Hello. I am looking at getting an 04 HX. It's got 137k miles and I'm told that it has a CEL for an O2 sensor though I don't know what specific code. I've read that the 5 speed versions of this car take a very specific 5 wire wideband sensor before the first cat, and that these sensors are much more expensive than regular O2 sensors. Does the other sensor ever fail, or is it likely the expensive 1st one? Also, I've seen conflicting reports of which sensor specifically to get that is both reasonably priced and functions correctly. Is there a sub $200 sensor that works right in this application? Are there anything else to watch out for with these cars?

Also, are timing belt kits the same, or is there an HX specific kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OEM always for any of the sensors. They are expensive, but cheaper than doing it again and having to eat the cost of a cheap aftermarket one because you tried to save a few bucks. Hondas are known for rejecting any other than OEM after a short period of time. Same goes for ignition parts. These are cheap to work on, no need to get even cheaper and end up losing more money in the long run doing it twice.

The code will say which sensor is bad. No sense in guessing.

Get the timing belt kit for the ENGINE not the model designation. The engine might not even be the original one to the car. Civics are one of the most swapped vehicles out there next to old muscle cars.

Donahue

Respected
Assuming it has the stock d17a6 motor, do they share the timing kit with the a1 and a2 motors?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Couldn't tell you at this moment and to be honest, I would just google it to find the answer. Why not just find out what motor is in it and buy one for that motor instead of trying to guess which other motor is compatible?

Donahue

Respected
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy it. I am assuming the stock motor, and would in fact pass on the car if it was not. Also because I trust experience vs what Google says on the matter. The info on HX models are hit and miss online.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It isn't hit or miss if you search right. These have been talked about and documented for over 14 years now on the internet. There are tons of information on them. Every where from wikipedia, to other forums, to even this forum. You just have to dig.

Don't assume. Ask the seller or find out yourself by inspecting it. If they don't know or won't provide you the information or the time to inspect it, move on. They are a dime a dozen.

The seller should also provide the information on the check engine light and if they are wishy washy about it or don't want to divulge the information, move on. They are likely shady or have no clue.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It isn't hit or miss if you search right. These have been talked about and documented for over 14 years now on the internet. There are tons of information on them. Every where from wikipedia, to other forums, to even this forum. You just have to dig.

Don't assume. Ask the seller or find out yourself by inspecting it. If they don't know or won't provide you the information or the time to inspect it, move on. They are a dime a dozen.

The seller should also provide the information on the check engine light and if they are wishy washy about it or don't want to divulge the information, move on. They are likely shady or have no clue.
Lethal6 is 100% correct. If you search poorly you get inaccurate answers. Besides, I assume google is what brought you to our forum, so your logic about using google makes no sense. Google is a tool to find online information. How you use the tool is your responsibility.

Secondly, if if you havent yet confirmed if it has the original motor, which would be an immediate red flag for you, then why are you researching anything before asking? You train of thought is backwards.

Lastly, HXs do use a 5-wire O2 sensor exclusive only to HXs. OEM Honda O2 sensors last a good 150-200,000 miles depending on typical driving conditions. Only aftermarket O2 sensors fail quickly on Hondas. FYI, NTK fabricates Hondas O2 sensors, so go to their website, look up the part number, then search for it online. For comparisons sake, visit any one of the various online Honda parts stores and look up the factory part number to compare pricing.

Donahue

Respected
I think there has just been a misunderstanding. My comments about Google should have said something to the effect that I don't trust a lot of of online suppliers that may know nothing about the HX model specifically. I can find the Honda part number, but I don't really want to pay dealer markup if I could find the correct sensor straight from the actual manufacturer.

As for the car, it does have an a6 motor. My research has lead me to a Denso 234-9005. I don't know if it will work or not, but I can tell you that my car currently has a 4 wire sensor. It's has a tag that says 24425 and I believe it is the wrong sensor, hence the issue. What I don't know is if someone took the 5th wire off, or if it ever had one to begin with. But the Denso sensor, which they list for the a6 motor is also a 4 wire.

One more thing, this car was in a front end collision about 40k miles ago. I am wondering if this sensor has been bad that whole time, as in it may have been damaged in the wreck. If that's the case, could there have been damage to the cat from running rich for too long? I am assuming with be sensor unplugged it is just running with an open loop.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Avoiding such confusions are why its important to take your time when writing the original post.

Denso or NTK will be fine as I believe NTK rebranded them as Denso for Honda. Im not familiar with 7th gens though. Avoid Bosch as theyre not as reliable on Hondas. I've heard of several people have them last just a few years. Do the current O2s look to be possible original sensors? If so, I'd still verify the Check-engine codes myself and consider just replacing both to be on the safe side. A quick search yielded your sensor on Amazon for $94.44.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dude, Bosch isn't crap that is the second time in 24 hours that you have bashed a well known, highly used brand without backing it up. Just because Honda's aren't tuned for them or have trouble running with them doesn't mean the brand is crap. Would almost every German auto brand run them from the factory if that was so? Damn near every sensor in my car is Bosch from the factory as is most of the sensors in the Porsches and Audis at work. The better phrasing would be that Hondas aren't meant, nor are they built to run other brands because they were tuned to run with a certain sensor tolerance that is only provided by the NTK/Denso brand.

*discalimer* No I don't work for Bosch, nor do I get a commission by the use of the name. :lol: It is a very well known brand and is one that is used in most German brands of automobile. Japanese cars love to run with Japanese/Chinese sensors, just as German brands won't run with a Denso and only run with Bosch....a European (I think German) brand. Bosch.

Bosch.

Donahue

Respected
Do the 6th gen ones take a 5 wire sensor, because I have read several times before getting the car that they all had 5 wire ones, yet this was a 4 wire one. I do not believe this is the original sensor, as it's a $30 sensor that probably works great for most 6th gen civics (just speculating). I wonder if the original sensor was damaged in the wreck and the previous owner never got the right sensor. The previous owner got the car at a salvage auction. If this potential scenario played out, could there be damage to the cat from running rich? Does the car in fact run rich with he sensor unplugged?

Donahue

Respected
Well, the new sensor came in today so I installed it. It was extremely easy to change. I drove it down to autozone to reset the cel, but apparently they are not allowed to do that by law anymore. I didn't quite believe them but it is what it is. However, as soon as I left there the light turned off on its own and has not come back on yet. I will post back if the status changes, but it looks like this was the right sensor, and it's a 4 wire. Also, I filled up the tank on the way home to calculate what my mileage has been the last week. It still showed a little more than 1/2 tank and had gone 214 miles. Filled up with 5.8 gallons for 37 mpg. Not bad for no O2 sensor. I can't wait to see what it will do with the correct sensor.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, the new sensor came in today so I installed it. It was extremely easy to change. I drove it down to autozone to reset the cel, but apparently they are not allowed to do that by law anymore.
They never were allowed to since they are not a State inspection station. They can read the codes, but shouldn't clear them.

Donahue

Respected
They never were allowed to since they are not a State inspection station. They can read the codes, but shouldn't clear them.
That could be it. In Oregon, there are two areas with vehicle inspection, Portland and Medford. I dont live in either of those areas and am therefore not subject to inspection, but I do live about 70 miles closer Portland that I used to, so maybe that is it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dude, Bosch isn't crap that is the second time in 24 hours that you have bashed a well known, highly used brand without backing it up. Just because Honda's aren't tuned for them or have trouble running with them doesn't mean the brand is crap. Would almost every German auto brand run them from the factory if that was so? Damn near every sensor in my car is Bosch from the factory as is most of the sensors in the Porsches and Audis at work. The better phrasing would be that Hondas aren't meant, nor are they built to run other brands because they were tuned to run with a certain sensor tolerance that is only provided by the NTK/Denso brand.

*discalimer* No I don't work for Bosch, nor do I get a commission by the use of the name. :lol: It is a very well known brand and is one that is used in most German brands of automobile. Japanese cars love to run with Japanese/Chinese sensors, just as German brands won't run with a Denso and only run with Bosch....a European (I think German) brand. Bosch.
I apologize for the overstatement as I meant that bosch O2 sensors arent long lasting on Hondas. They do make other quality products, but considering the topic is on O2 sensors I solely referred to just that. I edited my comment for better clarity.

OEM always for any of the sensors. They are expensive, but cheaper than doing it again and having to eat the cost of a cheap aftermarket one because you tried to save a few bucks. Hondas are known for rejecting any other than OEM after a short period of time. Same goes for ignition parts..
We clearly agree.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Definitely. They can scan them but can't and shouldn't be clearing them.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why should they not be clearing them? 5 to 10 years ago it was common place.

You answered your own question.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah. AutoZone caught on to people just using them to clear codes after repairing their issues with making a sale so they nixed that.