Intermittent weird engine noise

D16W9

Hello to all users
I am new at this forum. I own Honda Civic 2002, vtec. I am worried about the weird engine noise coming from valve cover or timing belt area, can't differentiate. This noise is intermittent that it appears on acceleration then suddenly disappears. During idle it appears sometimes. So there is no hard and fast rule, its appears and suddenly gone.

I made an audio clip please check it.
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/365079-intermittent-weird-engine-noise.html#post4692289
Please pay attention to metallic sound which comes like two something hitting on cog wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As they said on that forum, you can ask all you want, but none of us have the car in front of us we can't hear it, see it, or feel it. You are going to have to locate the NOISE by getting in there with a stethoscope or removing stuff until you see if something is rubbing on something else. I know language is a barrier with you but you do understand that even with the sound clip, it gives us absolutely nothing to go off of, right? It is impossible to find a sound through words on the internet, or even sound clips (yes we can hear the sound but it gives absolutely no direction to go off of because to us it is just an engine that is making noise kind of like hearing a gun shot in a sound clip....yes you hear it but that gives you absolutely no direction as to what it was or where it came from). You need to find it by inspection, possibly feel where it is, and listening with a stethoscope to find exactly where it is coming from. That or take it to a mechanic that is good at locating stuff like this.

D16W9

As they said on that forum, you can ask all you want, but none of us have the car in front of us we can't hear it, see it, or feel it. You are going to have to locate the NOISE by getting in there with a stethoscope or removing stuff until you see if something is rubbing on something else. I know language is a barrier with you but you do understand that even with the sound clip, it gives us absolutely nothing to go off of, right? It is impossible to find a sound through words on the internet, or even sound clips (yes we can hear the sound but it gives absolutely no direction to go off of because to us it is just an engine that is making noise kind of like hearing a gun shot in a sound clip....yes you hear it but that gives you absolutely no direction as to what it was or where it came from). You need to find it by inspection, possibly feel where it is, and listening with a stethoscope to find exactly where it is coming from. That or take it to a mechanic that is good at locating stuff like this.
Thanks brother. Please tell me can I start the engine with open valve cover? I want to locate this metal beating sound.

dancam

Registered VIP
You can but youll have to plug whatever hose goes from the intake to the valve cover or crankcase so you dont have a vaccume leak and the camshaft will throw oil everywhere as it sits in an oil bath. So cover your car and anything else you dont want oil on.
Also your coils and their electrical connections will get covered in oil as well as you will get oil down the spark plug tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After briefly reading through your comments on the other forum, I noticed you said you had a mechanic do some work on it. Why not take it back to them and see what they say? If you cant provide a detailed description narrowing down the point of origin then you need to take it to someone who can. It can be as simple as one of the belts is too tight, or somethings loose, or something wasnt installed properly from the last trip to the mechanic. So go back and ask them.