O2 sensor for 04 HX

Donahue

Respected
You answered your own question.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
saying they can't, is not the same as saying the shouldn't. i get that it might be a good business practice to not do it for free, but to say they can't legally do that seems like an exaggeration. but, that is neither here nor there, the light is off now and i will be clearing the codes this weekend anyways.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depends on the area. I know in some counties around here they can't and won't do it under the table. I think a lot of California is the same way. Certified shops are the only ones that are allowed. Home mechanics get away with it if they have scanners because they can't regulate it obviously.

Take it how ever you will.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i get that it might be a good business practice to not do it for free, but to say they can't legally do that seems like an exaggeration.
Not an exaggeration. laws vary from state to state.
In NYS, since Autozone and the likes are not State licensed inspection facilities, they are not allowed to clear codes.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just asked my tool rep. and he said that in california, they aren't even supposed to be selling the scan tools (unless to certified mechanics/shops), let alone scanning and definitely not resetting/clearing them. I am sure there are a lot of other states that are following this or will start soon enough. Most places are lucky to even get a scan from simple auto parts stores now a days apparently.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not an exaggeration. laws vary from state to state.
In NYS, since Autozone and the likes are not State licensed inspection facilities, the are not allowed to clear codes.
Since when? No more than 2 years ago I borrowed a code reader from Advance Auto and used it to reset my codes. I don't tell them I'm going to reset it, I just give them my license, go out into the parking lot with code reader in hand, and reset them.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since when? No more than 2 years ago I borrowed a code reader from Advance Auto and used it to reset my codes. I don't tell them I'm going to reset it, I just give them my license, go out into the parking lot with code reader in hand, and reset them.
What you're saying that YOU did differs from what I said.

Donahue

Respected
maybe i should have done that, but i think was Mr Baker is saying is that they will not do it themselves, which looking back is specifically what i asked them to do. ive personally never operated a code reader and so i just asked them to reset it for me, and they declined. maybe they had one i could borrow and do it myself, but thats not what i did.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think was Mr Baker is saying is that they will not do it themselves
Whoop, there it is!
Also, when I used to have go to them to have codes read, about 15 yrs ago, they wouldn't let me "borrow" the reader either.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Donahue, its in your best interest to just buy at least an inexpensive code reader being that you can purchase a simple one online for $15-$20 shipped.