Slambo - '99 HX - Target: 50 MPG

MPGomatic

Hey All -

I've been working on my project '99 HX Coupe for a bit more than a year now. Doing some wacky stuff with it, but nothing more wacky than the last mod I completed. I went a little nuts with fiberglass and bondo …

My goal from the start was to hit a sustainable 50 MPG at cruising speed. The car will do it now, as long as I don't go more than 55 or so. I'm working on more aero mods to hit the numbers at 60+. The latest mod (just started testing) might solve the parachute problem without cutting holes in the rear bumper.

I've been shooting videos on the project all along and tracking every fill on Fuelly.com. My last tank was the best legit tank I've had yet. http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic/1999/MPGomatic/280405

My dream, way back when, was to get the car to SEMA and I'm still aiming for it, but it's tough going (and the car's still way too rough). I want to work on developing parts that fix problems and make our cars cooler, without dropping big piles of dough.

The YouTube playlist has videos with a bunch of stuff: Sparco R100 install, carpet replacement, Elastiwrap, you name it. I'm getting ready to hit it with the dip again.

Stay Tuned!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This type of work gets more attention on EcoModder.com but I welcome it here. However, the bumper modding isnt anything new or "wacky" and I'm pretty sure a similar bumper already exists but without the blocked off upper grill. I am curious to see that bumper with the shaved upper grille insert. Its an idea I've had for quite some time. The video does come off pretty cheesy at first, but it seems intentional.

Last edited:

MPGomatic

AFAIK, there's no street bumper like this on the market. I've been looking for quite a long time and decided to roll my own. There is a drag bumper, but it's a good bit wider and meant to accommodate larger slicks.

I've been running the flush upper grille since mid-winter. Haven't overheated yet (knock wood).

Here's the Grill Blocker video from earlier this year:

Cheese & EcoModder = Awesome.

This type of work gets more attention on EcoModder.com but I welcome it here. However, the bumper modding isnt anything new or "wacky" and I'm pretty sure a similar bumper already exists bnut without the blocked off upper grill. I am curious to see that bumper with the shaved upper grille insert. Its an idea I've had for quite some time. The video does come off pretty cheesy at first, but it seems intentional.

Last edited:

Donahue

Respected
Subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice work put in to this but how far are you willing to go? A guy on d-series.org slapped a turbo on his motor and made 70mpg, this of course requires either knowledge on tuning or paying alot of visits and money to a tuner to lean out the a/f ratio and keep the car reliable.

MPGomatic

Thx! I've thought (a lot) about going the turbo route, but it's too much work for too little return. There are other mountains to climb with a better view.

Working on a belly pan now …

Nice work put in to this but how far are you willing to go? A guy on d-series.org slapped a turbo on his motor and made 70mpg, this of course requires either knowledge on tuning or paying alot of visits and money to a tuner to lean out the a/f ratio and keep the car reliable.