Need tech help, sluggish performance

DavidR

5+ Year Member
I have a 00 civic si and it feels really sluggish almost like its being weighed down. From a stop and go acceleration really sucks the engine revs high but feels like its not making power. I drove my cousins ls integra and the acceleration is amazingly different compared to my si. My compressions looked good above 200 across. I recently replaced my 02 because of a p0133 with a denso CEL hasn't came back since, but the thing i noticed is when i first put the 02 in I looked at the voltage swing on my scanner it had a nice constant swing from rich to lean, now it only has a nice swing from lean to rich and has a choppy look when it reaches rich going back to lean. I looked at my LTFT and STFT data at idle and 35k rpm and i dont see an issue there. LTFT is about -3%- wich doesnt indicate a problem with fuel or vacuum leak issues, im starting to think maybe the refresh rate of the 02 is the problem or maybe a weak ignition spark?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a '00 Civic Si and it feels really sluggish, almost like its being weighed down. From a stop and go, acceleration really sucks. The engine revs high but feels like its not making power. I drove my cousins LS Integra and the acceleration is amazingly different compared to my Si. My compression looked good, above 200 across. I recently replaced my O2 sensor, because of a p0133, with a Denso. The CEL hasn't come back since, but_when I first put the new O2 in, my voltage swing on my scanner_had a nice constant swing from rich to lean. Now it only has a nice swing from lean to rich and has a choppy look when it reaches rich then goes back to lean. I looked at my LTFT and STFT data at idle and 3500 rpm and I dont see an issue there. LTFT is about -3%- which doesnt indicate a problem with fuel or vacuum leak issues. I'm starting to think maybe the refresh rate of the O2 is the problem, or maybe a weak ignition spark.
Now that I made a little more sense of that with some corrections, have you bothered to inspect the spark plugs & wires or perform some basic maintenance? What mileage do you have? Perhaps you should consider a valve adjustment job to at least reduce any added bogging down. I have no idea what LTFT or STFT mean so I can help with that. Something with fuel trim perhaps? Not everyone knows every colloquial automotive abbreviation.

DavidR

5+ Year Member
Has 160k original power train spark plugs should be okay i replaced them (ngk oem) within the first year i owned it i've had it a little over 2 years nowbut i inspect them and they look normal as for the valve adjustment it's still on my list of things to do but honestly there aren't any valve train noises that would indicate needing a valve adjustment, i did have a look under my dizzy cap and noticed here was alot of corrosion build up on the contacts, cleaned it with a wire brush but didnt help at all there seems to be some on the coil its self where that little spring is held, i used a multimeter set on ohms to check the resistance between the base of the spring to the other end wich rests on cap when its installed and its hard to get continuity i'm going to try to clean that as well and see what happens I'll also check my wires while im at it.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, definitely continue with routine maintenance to get those out of the way. Does the car seem sluggish when from both cold start and normal operating temp?