ISO: Motor for 98 Ex

Swysha

So I'm cruising down the highway in 5th gear, car cuts off without warning. Get back to the shop and the cam broke at number 2 cap and destroyed the cylinder head, only thing that I could gather is that the oil pump may have been going bad. None the less I am now in search of an entire motor as its much cheaper to replace than to rebuild the old one. The current engine is the d16y8. I would love to drop a b series in it, but I can't afford a tranny as well right now, so unless I can find a decent one for cheap I will be sticking to the d series for now. What is a good dependable place to buy the entire engine from that won't break the bank? Any help is much appreciated! IMG_20150903_173514.jpg IMG_20150903_173518.jpg IMG_20150903_173514.jpg

Attachments

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have you popped the head off to check if the pistons are ok? If the pistons are ok I'm sure you could find a used y8 head for cheap or a rebuilt head still cheaper than finding a longblock y8. In my area a running y8 already pulled out of the car goes for $6-800, a rebuilt head off ebay I think is like 250 or you could rebuild one your self it's really not that hard, only thing most people can't do is the valve guides since it requires heating the head to an exact temperature to press out the old guides.

Was this a stock y8 cam or aftermarket?

Swysha

This is a stock y8 cam. I haven't had a chance to dig any deeper yet. I'm not really a mechanic, just know how to turn a wrench. I'll try and take the head rest of the way off after work today and check the pistons etc. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to let you know what I find out.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Lots of motors and heads on Craigslist.

Swysha

Lots of motors and heads on Craigslist.
I understand that, but craigslist isn't exactly a reputable seller of items. No telling what you're gonna get, and like I said I'm no mechanic just know how to turn a wrench and am still fairly new to Hondas. Thanks!

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It would be fairly easy to check a y8 head, bring a straight edge and feeler gauges to check for flatness, spray some sort of fluid into the intake ports that are closed and see if any leak then do the same for the exhaust ports.

Swysha

It would be fairly easy to check a y8 head, bring a straight edge and feeler gauges to check for flatness, spray some sort of fluid into the intake ports that are closed and see if any leak then do the same for the exhaust ports.
Awesome, thanks! I do have a buddy that is a certified mechanic that if I'm lucky would be able to come with me to check something like that out just to be sure. Not sure if I trust my own judgement.