Suspension and More Power

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
Alright guys well here it goes, I finally reached that point to where I can actually spend a pretty good amount of money on my car if I want to. So i just recently (a few months ago) bought my buddy's 98 civic he had with a B18C1 GSR swap I'm the one who found the car for him and everything but anyway I'm pretty sure it has Tein coilovers on it and it is slammed all the way down i'm not exactly sure what series but someone has just looked under the back and said my back coilovers are done so its time for me to upgrade i want something that is going to give me good handling and a real good ride as smooth as i can get but I'm not wanting to rape my wallet horribly. Also i love driving this thing it is real fun but I've reached the point of i want more power out of this thing all it has is a weapon R cold air intake and a cat back exhaust system on it which i don't know the brand of the muffler don't have anything on it that i have seen. So i still want to be able to use this as my daily driver if i need to use it but if I'm out having fun or want to go to the track i want it to get down and be real nasty I'm really appealed to boosting it but I'm not sure iv never had a boosted car I'm really looking to turn this car around. so any suggestions i would Gladly appreciate i want to get going on this real soon I want to do the suspension first so that is what I'm going to be buying first so if someone could point me in the direction of some good set ups or even a company that would be great thank you for your time and i hope you have a wonderful day/ evening or night. thank you

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What's your budget on suspension? Are you looking for a coilover / adjustable setup? I have Tein Street Advance on my RSX and I'm very pleased with them. However, if I had more money I would purchase Fortune Auto with Swift spring upgrade.

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
i would like to stick to around $1000.00 if need be i would go up some more if its going to get me something a lot better that's going to last a lot longer and to be honest i'm not really that into coilover's iv bought them before because they were cheap and iv have them on cars in the past and just never messed with them and or never adjusted them but like i said i still want a good stance and a real good lowered look.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Tokico strut / spring combo if you're not looking to adjust. Or Koni SRT w/ Tein S-techs. There's plenty of options out there. If you're looking for ride comfort, go with shocks / springs. If you're looking to slam or be adjustable, I would recommend coilovers.

Fortune Auto coils are $1500 or so (can't remember if that included the Swift spring upgrade or not), but comes with a 5-year warranty and their customer service is supposedly great. I still couldn't bite the bullet on them though as I was trying to stick to a budget.

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
ok man thanks for the input i don't know if i want to go with coilover's again or not the adjustability would be nice but with what iv had in the past and the ride it has given me kinda of steers me away from coilover's unless the higher dollar ones have alot better ride i don't know the honda scene isn't real real big here so i don't even know anyone who has high dollar coilover's or shock and spring set ups

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ok man thanks for the input i don't know if i want to go with coilover's again or not the adjustability would be nice but with what iv had in the past and the ride it has given me kinda of steers me away from coilover's unless the higher dollar ones have alot better ride i don't know the honda scene isn't real real big here so i don't even know anyone who has high dollar coilover's or shock and spring set ups
I'm assuming your roads are just about similar to ours. Giving my own review on Tein Street Advance: Handling is much improved, ride height is almost on par with OEM, though bumps are pretty harsh. I've had them for 5 months now or so. I have never ridden enough in a car with aftermarket springs / struts to really be able to judge them, though for the most part will be less stiff.

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
Alright so what would be a good shock and lowering spring set up be what brands would you suggest being that i also have horrible roads where i live?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...I'm pretty sure it has Tein coilovers on it and it is slammed all the way down i'm not exactly sure what series but someone has just looked under the back and said my back coilovers are done so its time for me to upgrade i want something that is going to give me good handling and a real good ride as smooth as i can get but I'm not wanting to rape my wallet horribly...
Was this a random person who inspected your suspension or someone reputable and knowledgeable? To make a potential $1000 decision on what sounds like a loose opinion is just not right. Especially when you're not even certain what suspension is on the car. What if all you need is a simple adjustment and they were wrong? Get an educated opinion or take detailed pictures and post them here.
i would like to stick to around $1000.00 if need be i would go up some more if its going to get me something a lot better that's going to last a lot longer and to be honest i'm not really that into coilover's iv bought them before because they were cheap and iv have them on cars in the past and just never messed with them and or never adjusted them but like i said i still want a good stance and a real good lowered look.
Cheap coilovers always have very poor ride comfort, so its not fair to judge them all by a poor comparison. With coilovers, you get what you pay for. Unless you want a heavy drop with a tight suspension, theyre not necessary.

Alright so what would be a good shock and lowering spring set up be what brands would you suggest being that i also have horrible roads where i live?
This topic has been covered numerous times, including several within the last year. Search the forum and do your homework first. Its been discussed to death.

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
Was this a random person who inspected your suspension or someone reputable and knowledgeable? To make a potential $1000 decision on what sounds like a loose opinion is just not right. Especially when you're not even certain what suspension is on the car. What if all you need is a simple adjustment and they were wrong? Get an educated opinion or take detailed pictures and post them here.
First of all thanks for your input but, this came from a guy that works at the shop that just fixed the rear end in my full size truck the owner of this shop builds hot rods and runs a very professional shop and very nice shop and all his guys that work in the shop for him know there stuff.

This topic has been covered numerous times, including several within the last year. Search the forum and do your homework first. Its been discussed to death.
I'm just stuck on which brand to choose i know there are a lot. and some are better than others

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like my function and form type 2 but you won't like it if you don't like stiff suspension. I suggest getting a go-autoworks turbo kit then buying a chipped ecu and injectors, it won't be cheap but if you buy a good kit it will all bolt up and with a good tune it will be as reliable as a stock honda. A jrsc would be cheaper way to boost if you can't afford $3,000 or more to turbo

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
right on man i checked out go-autoworks and I'm more than likely going to go with them for the boost kit it doesn't seem like bad prices do you think that having AC is better than not having ac with a boosted car the reason i asked s because my buddy i bought the car from took the power steering and the ac out and if it could be done i was thinking about putting it back in and then boosting it

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First of all thanks for your input but, this came from a guy that works at the shop that just fixed the rear end in my full size truck the owner of this shop builds hot rods and runs a very professional shop and very nice shop and all his guys that work in the shop for him know there stuff.I'm just stuck on which brand to choose i know there are a lot. and some are better than others
Good then. I had to ask you. There are alot of people who join here and go by the advice of some backyard mechanic as if its a professional source. Your description didnt hint at either, which is why its important to write in detail.

Post which brands your deciding between and we'll help you from there. Otherwise, you're leaving the suggestion door wide open and most of us here wont waste our time with such vague questions that, again, have been covered hundreds of times.

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
Good then. I had to ask you. There are alot of people who join here and go by the advice of some backyard mechanic as if its a professional source. Your description didnt hint at either, which is why its important to write in detail.

Post which brands your deciding between and we'll help you from there. Otherwise, you're leaving the suggestion door wide open and most of us here wont waste our time with such vague questions that, again, have been covered hundreds of times.
ok thank you i will check some brands out and look at prices and i will then post the brands and the model that I'm looking at I'm just real picky when it comes to spending this amount of money.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
right on man i checked out go-autoworks and I'm more than likely going to go with them for the boost kit it doesn't seem like bad prices do you think that having AC is better than not having ac with a boosted car the reason i asked s because my buddy i bought the car from took the power steering and the ac out and if it could be done i was thinking about putting it back in and then boosting it
If you can put it all back in and get it working it's well worth it, my only complaint with go autoworks turbo manifold and wastegate placement is that it's way to close to the ac lines. I ran my wastegate without a dump tube and melted the ac line with the hot exhaust, I ended up making a flange to rotate the wastegate and made a new dump tube.

Get the ac recharged professionally if you do install it, I bought a vacuum pump and recharge kit and did it myself, my ac works but when it's hot and I'm in stop and go traffic it barely works, on the freeway cruising it works great. I'm pretty sure I slightly under or overcharged the system. Also set a hp goal and a price, don't get a 500hp turbo if you only want 250 or 300hp, email Greg at go-autoworks he's a great guy and responds quick, he will set you up with what you should get. Maybe ask him how the go-autoworks spec bullseye turbo would do on your motor.

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
Alright awesome I just bought this EK from my buddy about a month or so ago maybe a little longer and I'm going to be doing a lot to it so i was thinking about, and am probably going to start a build thread for it so everyone can see how the progress goes. let me know if you would like to see this. and i still have to get to looking at different coilovers.

Last edited:

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
Ok so ive been doing some looking and im wandering dos anyone know how good of products does the company Blackworks have?

Lord Hodge

Respected
Alright awesome I just bought this EK from my buddy about a month or so ago maybe a little longer and I'm going to be doing a lot to it so i was thinking about, and am probably going to start a build thread for it so everyone can see how the progress goes. let me know if you would like to see this. and i still have to get to looking at different coilovers.
I also bought an EK recently and I'm looking to learn and build something from the ground up. Keep on posting and updating and we can share our progress

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
I also bought an EK recently and I'm looking to learn and build something from the ground up. Keep on posting and updating and we can share our progress

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
ok man that sounds cool like i said above i might start a build thread I'm not sure yet.

csuhre

95 Civic Hatch Guy
Alright so ive done some research and iv came up with this guys for the coilovers its going to be between the Koni coilovers found here
http://www.clubcivic.com/store/koni-coilover-kits_mp1384.html

or the TEIN Flex Z found here
http://www.tein.com/products/flex_z.html

so i would like to get anyone's input on these and please remember price is not a problem ive realized in order to get a good ride im looking at a good chunk of change ive just never rode in anything that has had a good top brand of coilovers this is why im asking for input. thanks