Why does my car not drive past 45mph?

• ???

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ???

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Youssef

So I have a 91 civic hatch. 4 speed manual. All stock d15b1

Okay so I turn on my car it drives okay but has a tendency to produce a lot of white smoke from the exhaust. It's not overheating the coolant seems okay I can't find any leaks I've checked for days...

But when I drive on the highway when I get to about 45mph my car kicks as if it wants to stall, and produces a lot of smoke (not from under the hood) I thought it was my head gasket or my piston rings but I'm not sure. i did more research and saw it could be my catalytic converter but I'm stumped

Any info? Help? Has anyone had this problem?

dancam

Registered VIP
Some more info from you first would be cool. Can you get it up faster than 45mph if you try? Or does the car just bog right down?
If you leave it in first or second and rev it higher (like up to 5000rpm or so) when your speeding up does it do the same thing or is it fine then?
Is your transmission oil level fine?
When you slow back down to 40 or 35mph is the car fine or does it still have issues?

Oil spilling out of your trans onto something hot will cause white smoke and a trans low on oil would make the car buck. If you hit 45mph in 3rd does it still do it or only in 4th? Or if your normally in 3rd will it accelerate fine in 4th or second past 45mph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youssef

Some more info from you first would be cool. Can you get it up faster than 45mph if you try? Or does the car just bog right down?
If you leave it in first or second and rev it higher (like up to 5000rpm or so) when your speeding up does it do the same thing or is it fine then?
Is your transmission oil level fine?
When you slow back down to 40 or 35mph is the car fine or does it still have issues?

Oil spilling out of your trans onto something hot will cause white smoke and a trans low on oil would make the car buck. If you hit 45mph in 3rd does it still do it or only in 4th? Or if your normally in 3rd will it accelerate fine in 4th or second past 45mph?

It can go to 50mph on a straight away then it kicks in 4th, it seems to kick in all gears except 1st when revved like that, reading this I'm assuming it's the transmission fluid because I haven't touched it nor has the previous owner and I have no idea where it's located. I'm looking at videos and pictures right now

dancam

Registered VIP
Hmm, 50mph is the max you can do then? Is it once you reach a certain rpm in each gear that it does this or is it strictly based on vehicle speed?
Did you have a look at the trans fluid?

Youssef

Hmm, 50mph is the max you can do then? Is it once you reach a certain rpm in each gear that it does this or is it strictly based on vehicle speed?
Did you have a look at the trans fluid?

It blows smoke in all the gears except first when revved past it's the rpm it should shift at, but my dash doesn't have rpm's so I shift based off of feel and sound.
It may sound stupid but I don't know how to check the trans fluid... I took it to a mechanic and he said due to how old the car is and the mileage he said "it could hurt the car more than help it"

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Smoke and trans fluid aren't related.

What do you mean by kick? A hard bucking feeling or sputtering? Do you feel it throughout the car?

Is it "smoking" when it's cold in the morning and stops when it warms up?

Youssef

Smoke and trans fluid aren't related.

What do you mean by kick? A hard bucking feeling or sputtering? Do you feel it throughout the car?

Is it "smoking" when it's cold in the morning and stops when it warms up?
It bucks at 45-50 mph when going up a slight hill, it seems to smoke normally in the cold and when it warms up. It blew a lot of smoke one day when I added oil and then I did another oil change. By kick I mean it does a little buck when I try to gas a little more, I shift to a lower gear then I proceed to drive in 4th again, and it will produce quite a bit of smoke from the exhaust when gassing. It's as if the motor just doesn't have enough power to drive that fast anymore

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Are you going through a lot of coolant? You need to make sure it's not just evaporated water in the cold mornings. The forums flood with "white smoke" this time of year.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
It blows smoke in all the gears except first when revved past it's the rpm it should shift at, but my dash doesn't have rpm's so I shift based off of feel and sound.
It may sound stupid but I don't know how to check the trans fluid... I took it to a mechanic and he said due to how old the car is and the mileage he said "it could hurt the car more than help it"
Yes, check you coolant level again. With the trans fluid it can hurt automatics but not manuals. Your car is a standard transmission right? As long as it doesnt look like oil has been speein everywhere out of it thats probably not the cause of the smoke, although that oil should be changed. Youll have to look up how to or buy a haynes manual for $15.
I would say check your distributor for the rest of it. Everything that your saying except for the white smoke sounds like what happened to my brothers old civic. Wires came loose in the distributor and it needed to be replaced. Had the same symptoms as you.

Youssef

Yes, check you coolant level again. With the trans fluid it can hurt automatics but not manuals. Your car is a standard transmission right? As long as it doesnt look like oil has been speein everywhere out of it thats probably not the cause of the smoke, although that oil should be changed. Youll have to look up how to or buy a haynes manual for $15.
I would say check your distributor for the rest of it. Everything that your saying except for the white smoke sounds like what happened to my brothers old civic. Wires came loose in the distributor and it needed to be replaced. Had the same symptoms as you.

I feel that is now the issue because when my friend had it the check engine light was on and it was the distributor, I thought it couldn't be because the light wasn't on but it came on last night, I'll check the distributor

91 LX

Was that your prob? Seems like a lotta white smoke and no power.................coolant in the combustion chamber