Noise backing up

pcpro215

I have a 07 Civic coupe with 109k on it. Recently, it started to make a thumping noise when backing up, typically in the morning when I first get going. However, this Am it did it when I started it and when I went in reverse down the driveway.

Preliminary research indicates it could possibly be the motor mounts on the bottom (why would it be the easy ones to get at right? =)), that may be worn out/broken.

I am just wondering if this is a fairly common/known problem with this particular generation of Civic? If it is, does Honda know about it and is there some sort of recall Honda has issued but is keeping it on the down low?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

dancam

Registered VIP
Did you check for naked asians tied up in your trunk? Lol.
I presume your sure the noise is coming from the front of the car?
Motor mounts are a good guess but they dont usually wear out on cars with small engines that dont see towing or racing. Yours is pretty low km too, but it could be. Best to take it to a shop probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcpro215

Did you check for naked asians tied up in your trunk? Lol.
I presume your sure the noise is coming from the front of the car?
Motor mounts are a good guess but they dont usually wear out on cars with small engines that dont see towing or racing. Yours is pretty low km too, but it could be. Best to take it to a shop probably.

No, no naked Asians in my trunk. I don't think my wife would appreciate that too much. LOL

The reason I suspect motor mounts is because that was the first thing that came up when I googled civic noise backing up.

Thanks for the reply. =)

dancam

Registered VIP
=)
Oh? Ok. Is it an automatic or manual trans? If manual is the thumping just while your slipping the clutch and then stops or is it rythmic and steady and does it match the speed of the car?

pcpro215

=)
Oh? Ok. Is it an automatic or manual trans? If manual is the thumping just while your slipping the clutch and then stops or is it rythmic and steady and does it match the speed of the car?

I guess I forgot to mention about my trans..... It's an automatic.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you the original owner?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had more of a knocking noise in my old 8th gen and I think it was the belt tensioner. Have your wife sit in the car with the foot on the brakes and the car in gear and see if you can pin point the noise location. Not really sure why it did it, but when the car was fully warm, the noise wouldn't be there anymore. Same thing for you?

pcpro215

I had more of a knocking noise in my old 8th gen and I think it was the belt tensioner. Have your wife sit in the car with the foot on the brakes and the car in gear and see if you can pin point the noise location. Not really sure why it did it, but when the car was fully warm, the noise wouldn't be there anymore. Same thing for you?

Now that you mention it, the noise does get quieter if the car runs during the day. It's loudest when I first start it in the morning to go to work. In the afternoon, it's not as bad. It's noticeable, but nit nearly as bad as when I first start it in the morning.

Is changing the belt tensioner a difficult project to do?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When the car is running in the morning or on a cold start. Use a long 19mm wrench and put it on the belt tensioner and move it around to see if the noise stops. I never really fixed the problem, but after messing around with the tensioner the way I mentioned above, the noise got quieter and didn't come on too much anymore. I did do a tranny fluid change as well so that could have helped too not too sure. But try it out and see if the noise stops when the tensioner is moved.

pcpro215

I also noticed that when it's been raining, or damp out, the belts squeal a bit on the first start up of the morning. So, you could be on to something with the belt tensioner thing.

pcpro215

Well, according to the mechanic, the RF stabilizer link has play in it and there is a bulletin out for the RF lower motor mount.

The bulletins were found on alldatapro.com.

dancam

Registered VIP
Well, according to the mechanic, the RF stabilizer link has play in it and there is a bulletin out for the RF lower motor mount.

The bulletins were found on alldatapro.com.
Did replacing those parts fix it?

pcpro215

Did replacing those parts fix it?

I don't know yet. The mechanic didn't replace them. I am waiting to get the stabilizer links in the mail sometime this week. I will put them in on Saturday, if they arrive before then. =)

Render

Hello,

Just joined! Been looking to finding answers to a similar problem I have with my 07' Civic Coupe.
Recently it has been making a loud noise, and heavy vibrations while in park, reverse, and neutral. As soon as I go into drive and put a load on it, it goes away for the most part. This is all heard while in the car, but outside with the hood up sounds just fine. Seeing you might of been having a similar issue were you able to get it resolved? Any tips?

Thanks