Noob - need help - hid / headlight problem

Arber

Hey im new to this site, ijust bought a 96 civic that had a hid kit installed by previous owner. The lights would turn on for short period of time or turn off once car was on / started driving. (Even rolling half way out of garage)

I removed the hid kit, wires and everything. Stock bulbs connected everything worked fine, started driving out of garage again to test if same thing would happen, it did. The lights on stock are obvi a yellowish color, they flashed to the bright hid blue/white and turned off. Highbeams worked stock colour then did same thing, flashed hid colour then off. Now i cant get them to work.

Im a noob, especially when it comes to electrical. Hope you can help me out!!

And yes i did check the fuses, and bulbs were brand new.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your wording is throwing me off. Did you mean to say you removed all the HID wiring and components in order to test the stock bulbs only to still find you experience the same issue, and then reinstalled the HID components? Please take the time to write clearly in order to receive helpful responses. Regardless, your issue sounds like poor wiring.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I understood it as him saying he completely removed the HID kit and installed stock bulbs. Upon driving out of the garage with stock bulbs, they flashed to HID and shut off.

Maybe you meant the stock bulbs worked 100% fine and when you went back to HID they still didn't work. If that's the case, maybe stay stock?

Arber

Sorry for the confusion.

I removed the HID kit completely. I connected the stock bulbs back and they worked fine while parked, and even while engine running, soon as I started driving out of the garage - the STOCK BULBS flashed bright blue/white (the colour of the hids) and then went out.

I've Searched a bit online, says that the plug and play hid kits can just be removed and stock bulbs reinstalled - which is what I did. But I don't know why the stock bulbs flashed and then went out.

I hope this is more clear and easier to understand.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did it happen to both sides? Maybe try some new bulbs and see if it happens again? It may end up being a waste of $5 for new bulbs but it may tell you if something really is wrong.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Make sure the correct fuse is being used as well. I know you checked them, but did you check the size or just to see if they were good or not? You could simply be overpowering them until they pop.