A/c blowing warmer air during stop/go driving

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is this normal for the d16y8? Noticed on really hot days the a/c doesn't feel cold unless I get on the highway. If it's not scorching out or at night the a/c blows cold air as expected.

Condenser fan works, and condenser doesn't look clogged up.

I've been in a friend's car which seems to work same exact way. Coincidence or normal for these cars?

Both 98 civic ex

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
I've had this issue before. I was low on refrigerant. I can't say for sure what the problem is with your system though. Evacuate/purge the refrigerant then refill to spec. Don't use anything that has stop leak or other garbage in it. Use just plain old regular r134. BTW - Check Big Lots for refrigerant. They usually have it for half the price of other places.

c00k13

I had an issue with car blowing hot air randomly, then getting cold. It turned out to be a valve that needed replacement. Replaced the valve and put in freon and so far (knocks on wood), cold air consistently for the past 2 days.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
I had an issue with car blowing hot air randomly, then getting cold. It turned out to be a valve that needed replacement. Replaced the valve and put in freon and so far (knocks on wood), cold air consistently for the past 2 days.

What valve?

Forgot to add : Make sure the secondary fan is kicking on when you switch the AC on.

c00k13

What valve?

Forgot to add : Make sure the secondary fan is kicking on when you switch the AC on.
I believe the expansion valve, but don't quote me on that. My dad bought the part and replaced it himself. Cold air ever since.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What valve?

Yes it's kicking on. I've never done any AC work, is hard to check if it needs refrigerant added?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
It's very easy. Do a little research and grab a simple refrigerant gauge/filler.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5856202_tell-car-low-freon_.html

R-134A-.jpg
Grab a gauge like this.

The sticker on the underside of the hood will tell you how much refrigerant your system holds. Don't over charge it.

To ensure you have the correct amount, you have to empty the system first. Then add. Remember, the small cans are sold in ounces and the sticker under the hood usually reads in kilograms so you may need to do some conversion. 2.2 pounds per kilo. 16 ounces per pound. You get the idea.

The low pressure port is very easy to access.
low pressure port.JPG

The gauge/tool/filler will only fit on the low pressure port. It's a schrader valve connection, similar to an air tool quick connect. You can connect the tool to the low pressure port without a can attached to the tool to purge the system.

When you're ready to fill, start the car, turn the AC on to max, and fill it up. Remember, don't overfill! Fully charged will read ~45psi in my experience but the ambient air temp will cause variations. You can soak your cans in hot water to increase their pressure and make filling easier.

TLDR : Empty the system then fill it to spec.

Good luck!

FlatRate

5+ Year Member
Bad thing about doing it this way is the system is not in a vacuum when adding refrigerant.