Timing Belt

HondaGuy9293

First off I just want to thank you guys for all the help as I use this forum for just about anything I need to do. If I'm posting this in the wrong area just let me know and I'll fix it. With that being said let's move on to my rough week..

96 Honda Civic D16A SOHC
On my way home from work, the crank pulley flew out from underneath my car, obviously the bolt and woodruff key were nowhere to be found but I retrieved the pulley. The crank gear started backing off the shaft and my timing belt came off. I did try not run the car after the belt came off. The crank gear wasn't in the slot so I removed it and placed it back on there correctly. I turned it to TDC. The cam gear is not at TDC and I don't have the belt on there. My question is, how do I get this cam gear to TDC without this belt as that's how I would typically do it. It won't turn by hand and I don't want to force it resulting in bent valves. Do I need to loosen the rocker arm bolts in order to be able to move the cam gear to TDC? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I tried to find it on this forum before asking but didn't find anything.

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
woah... the crank pulley came off... i hope it didnt damage your engine.
By logic, you wont be able to get it to tdc without the belt (i think) ...
i suggest not to touch the rocker arm and focus on the timing belt side and start from there.

HondaGuy9293

woah... the crank pulley came off... i hope it didnt damage your engine.
By logic, you wont be able to get it to tdc without the belt (i think) ...
i suggest not to touch the rocker arm and focus on the timing belt side and start from there.
The cam gear is 90 degrees from TDC I'm not sure how to get it there without breaking anything. It doesn't want to move for me.