98 Civic Si with ABS but no ABS light on cluster

CAcivicSI

Hey there

I recently bought a 98 coupe Si. just as a run around beater car. The brakes have been checked and are all fine but it has locked up on me a few times when not even braking that hard.. I just thought my model wasn't equipped with abs as an option.

Well when i checked the specs for my model it said it did, and sure enough all the abs equipment is there....abs control unit, pump, sensors, abs fuse box...but on the dash cluster where the abs light should be... its just a blank cover...

So i don't know if i have an abs problem and what i have read, the scs service connector uses the dash light to flash out the error codes, if there are any.

Is there any other way to check if the abs is working ..or not working... without the light?

Thanks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can plug in an OBD2 scanner and find out. My concern is why someone changed out the gauge cluster to an incorrect one. My first guess is to cover up how much mileage it really has. If I recall correctly, the higher quality scanners also read mileage, so take that into consideration.

By the way, I hate hearing an SI referred to as a beater. Its just such a waste.

dancam

Registered VIP
I changed my cluster on the 7th gen because i wanted a tachometer. But i presume the si would have come with that. Is there anything nicer or different about your cluster than the regular si one? On the 7th gen its a digital odometer but stored in the cluster, not the ecu.
How does a scanner read the milage on a 6th gen different than the cluster would?
And yes, there is a way to test it. Drive real fast and then stand on the brakes. If they lock its not working.
Ask a shop to check for abs codes or buy a scanner. If it cant be done get a cluster from a wrecker.
I thought obd2 didn't use dash lights to flash codes anymore since the point was to be able to read it on a scanner, but i could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It may not be the original cluster. The cluster could have been swapped out very easily.

CAcivicSI

I have a low end obd2 scanner...nothing came up :/

I will try get someone with a fancy one to give it a shot.

The cluster looks like any other standard Si cluster just with no abs option.

Thought id ask but don't really want to throw much money into it. if the abs isn't working ill just have to drive extra cautious...

Got the car for $700... with supposedly 205k kms on it. I wish it wasn't just a beater, the body is covered with deep dents and cracks all over the place... someone literally beat it good lol but the engine is still strong as usual.

Thanks for the replies!

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Remember fellas, OP is from Canada; so their "Si" is our Ex. Their SiR is our EM1.

dancam

Registered VIP
I have a low end obd2 scanner...nothing came up :/

I will try get someone with a fancy one to give it a shot.

Thought id ask but don't really want to throw much money into it. if the abs isn't working ill just have to drive extra cautious...

Got the car for $700... with supposedly 205k kms on it. I wish it wasn't just a beater, the body is covered with deep dents and cracks all over the place... someone literally beat it good lol but the engine is still strong as usual.

Thanks for the replies!
If its the same cluster take it out and see if you can just install a light there? Might flash what you need.
I dont buy cars with abs. Very very few pre 2010 cars have an abs system that works better than a good drivers foot. Most are pretty terrible. So its not a concern. However if your wheels are locking under light braking something else is wrong too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
However if your wheels are locking under light braking something else is wrong too.
That is a problem then, but if not, forget the ABS system, you don't need it.
As long as you have good pedal pressure and no leaks, you should be good to go.

Someone may at one time or another could have easily swapped clusters out and swapped it with one that didn't have the ABS option.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a low end obd2 scanner...nothing came up :/ I will try get someone with a fancy one to give it a shot.
The correct ECU will show an ABS code regardless of the cluster in it. Clusters can only show the options they have available. Make sure your code reader is capable of reading ABS codes.

Remember fellas, OP is from Canada; so their "Si" is our Ex. Their SiR is our EM1(SI).
Ah, very true. I didnt realize he's in Canada. The mobile view doesn' t really make that eye-catching for me. I make so many errors on the mobile version, but I digress...
It may not be the original cluster. The cluster could have been swapped out very easily.
Please post some pictures of the cluster. I would think your SI (our EX) clusters would look the same. The American SI clusters are a bit different than the EX (Canadian SI) clusters. Either way, cluster swapping is easy between all the trim lines.
Thought id ask but don't really want to throw much money into it. if the abs isn't working ill just have to drive extra cautious. Got the car for $700... with supposedly 205k kms on it. I wish it wasn't just a beater, the body is covered with deep dents and cracks all over the place... someone literally beat it good lol but the engine is still strong as usual.
Cosmetic issues can always be address slowly but surely if the engine is strong and worthy of it. I look at that as a car you restore from the inside out as the beat exterior helps as a theft deterrent.
How does a scanner read the milage on a 6th gen different than the cluster would?
Again, I'm not certain but I know in some cars the ECU stores the true mileage in sequence to the odometer, so if you swap odometers then the ECU keeps reading from the last mileage mark and not the odometer that has a different number. This is one way dealerships and mechanics could confirm actual mileage on older vehicles. This may just be true to digital odometer clusters. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable can chime in on that. I'm almost positive I've seen that option on my buddy's MacTools high-end scanner.

Last edited:

CAcivicSI

Thanks, No its not that bad, have been driving it with a bit more care and
no problems...I'm too used to my previous car which was awd and the stopping and handling was too easy compared to this one.

Thanks again