2001 O2 Sensor

kifor.dmitriy

Respected
I have i 2001 Honda Civic and the check engine light wont turn off. I bought a brand new O2 sensor and i had someone look at it. They were saying that there is no power going to it. This car had an engine swap from a 2004 civic. I kept the harness from the 2004 engine but not the ECU. Im think that i have to get the ECU reprogrammed or get a new one. If anyone has some comments let me know.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

Rochester... NY?

What engine was swapped in? If it's the same one there is no need for an ECU swap.

Also, who is they and what brand O2 sensor did you get? Honda's don't really play nicely with sensors other than OEM.

Any CEL? If so (which you should), pull the code.

kifor.dmitriy

Respected
Well from Fairport, NY

2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX
Engine from 2004 Honda Civic Sedan LX

They are just electricians who tested the voltage going to the sensor.

The new senors was bought from the Honda dealership off 104 in Greece.

the CEL is on i forgot the code when i get home i will look it up again i believe it was something like O2 sensor bank 1

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Was the engine warm when they tested the voltage? Car will run open loop until it reaches operating temp, so if the engine is cold or off, no reading is to be expected.

The dealership off 104 (Ralph Honda?) is about 10 minutes from my house haha.

Did you clear the code after you installed the new sensor?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im confused you say your using the ecu from a 01 civic on a 04 engine ??? also an oxygen sensor for a 01 will not work on a 04 because its wideband.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes i am using an 2001 ECU on the 2004 Enginge. My only problem is the 02 Sensor. @lowlife9 what do you mean by different wideband?
There are two types of o2 sensors.. normal (narrowband) and wideband. I did not know that 04 used a wideband sensor. Since it does, my guess is that you have a wideband sensor in there but the 01 ECU is looking for a narrowband sensor, causing your issues.

Narrowband: Tells ECU "Your air/fuel ratio is lean/rich/stoic"
Wideband: Tells ECU "Your air/fuel ratio is 13.0 / 17.0 / 14.7".. much more detailed.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
@XpL0d3r Yeah it makes sense, thank you for the information. i will buy a ecu and try it out.
It might be a better option / cheaper to keep the ECU and get a different o2 sensor. I'm also not 100% sure this is the case, so you might want to do some extra research before throwing more $ down, just in case.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
another issue could be if the ecu your using is for a vtec engine was the previous 01 engine vtec or non vtec ??? is the new 04 engine vtec ???. considering the narrow band oxygen sensors are less then 50 bucks that would be the cheapest option unless your using the wrong ecu as stated above. wideband sensors are 150-250 dollars.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
another issue could be if the ecu your using is for a vtec engine was the previous 01 engine vtec or non vtec ??? is the new 04 engine vtec ???. considering the narrow band oxygen sensors are less then 50 bucks that would be the cheapest option unless your using the wrong ecu as stated above. wideband sensors are 150-250 dollars.
Good call, never even thought of that!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's one way to solve it lol. Did you bring it to Northside Salvage? That's where my Civic went to die haha

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im confused you say your using the ecu from a 01 civic on a 04 engine ??? also an oxygen sensor for a 01 will not work on a 04 because its wideband.
Old thread, I know, but... since when did 2004 Civic's have OEM wideband O2's...?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Old thread, I know, but... since when did 2004 Civic's have OEM wideband O2's...?
My guess would be since.... 2004? :lol:

Just the 04-05 models IIRC