problems with my turbo

Superthug429

hello i have a 1998 honda civic ex with a turbo and for some reason it is bowing off my cold air intake tubing when giving it gas also it seems to be losing power in the 2500 to 4000rpms and there is a very small mount of oil in the intercooler is that normal please some one help

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

How do you have a cold air intake with an intercooled turbo setup?

Answer to any tubes being blown apart... get better clamps.

We need more info. What's the car tuned on? Stock motor? What ECU? Any CEL? Open or close-loop tuned?

If you have oil in the intercooler, seals in the turbo might be leaking. Do you have an oil catch can?

Superthug429

i dont have a old air intake i meant the tubing that goes to the intercooler to the turbo
idk what the car is tuned on what do you mean i need insight its the stock motor d16y8 vtec right ? 450cc injectors some aftermarket parts ill look in to the ecu and what is cel and how do i tell if its open or closed loop i dont have an oil catch can should i invest in one i bought this car like this so i am trying to figure out all this s**t to fix his mistakes and learn

bairdandrew77

Big mistake buying someone's turbo civic with the limited knowledge you seem to have. Not bashing you, just saying usually it's better to start stock and go from there.

Anyways, get better clamps assuming it even has any.

It most likely has an obd1 p28 ecu. Probably tuned on chromed or some other free/cheap software. Might want to call him and ask.

CEL means check engine light.

Don't know how to explain open and closed loop so I'm going to skip this to avoid giving you wrong info.

Invest in a catch can. It'll be worth it.

I'm leaning towards the turbo seals being worn

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you don't know if you have a chipped and tuned ecu then forget about open or closed loop, basically all it is is closed loop the o2 sensor makes adjustments to the fuel to adjust air fuel ratio and open loop is just a set amount of fuel at any given time. Which side of the piping is blowing off, cold side or hot side? Cold is between intercooler and throttle body and hot side piping is between turbo and intercooler

Superthug429

see i kinda figured that after the fact its a mistake ill never do again i would rather go from ground up make sure its done my way not some jack ass but no there isnt a cel there was then i changes out my exhaust there wasnt lower o2 sensor on it so that stop hasnt came back on sense i no that there is alot of the upgrades that they say to do when adding a turbo to your car i have tried getting a hold f the guy i bought it from he wont get back to me i wanted to ask hi what all he did to it now on the comp says its
chipped l5
vtec added l5
xenocrow base
xenocrow turbo custom base map for y7
the sticker on it is 37820-p06-a00
740-109007 denhigiken apx something like that idk if he got it tuned or threw it all together my piping is blowing off on my cold side that goes to after my intercooler to my intake manifold but only after like 3500 pushing 4000 it like rev lines and blows the tube out i dont have any sputter when the turbo isnt being ran

Superthug429

if any one has time to call me that would be great y name is josh i really would like to learn and gain knowledge of these tunner cars some day i would like to make it a career 8646317031

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
They took a y7 ecu, converted it over to use vtec and it has a base map from xenocron. Doubt it is actually tuned. Don't rip on it anymore unless you like walking to work or school. The car is probably cutting out from some safety feature on the base map.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you better start looking for dyno tuners in your area or someone who knows how to tune a honda ecu. that basemap your probably only making mabye 20hp over stock, xenocron tuning makes their basemaps extremely conservative so you dont blow the car up. take the coupler off the intercooler and spray some hairspray on the tubing then put the coupler back on and tighten down the clamp.

Superthug429

okay will do
can some one explain to me why when i mate the gas to floor i have the sputtering but when i barely on the gas just right i have no issues it actually runs like it should

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's probably not tuned correctly

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it's sputtering then it's not running like it should, most likely it just has way to much fuel at WOT. Do you have a wideband o2? If not I suggest buying a good one like an innovate lc-1 or lc-2, they are close to 200 but can be found on ebay brand new for $130-150

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
okay will do
can some one explain to me why when i mate the gas to floor i have the sputtering but when i barely on the gas just right i have no issues it actually runs like it should
Sounds like boost cut if the xeno map has safety options enabled or it's enriching so much that it bogs. If the person who built it is using the AFC vac for fuel management ( bad) when you mat it or start to bring the rpms up, the vacuum causes more fuel to be dumped in and will cause issues. I'm assuming the car isn't making boost at this point.

Does your oil smell like fuel?

As for oil in your intercooler, do you see it hot side or cold side more?

Sorry to say it man, but you are going to spend a lot of time and/or money correcting the problems the original owner caused with this cheapish build.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I had a xenocron basemap - I was told by Chris to use it ONLY for delicate driving - just enough to limp the car 20 miles away to the tuner. I had @Szady follow close behind me to the tuner, since I was on the highway and also had no exhaust hooked up yet so it was obnoxiously loud. But my guess is you have a similar basemap.

I would recommend getting the car to a tuner and see what they say about it. Then make your decisions from there.