Evap monitor comes up as N/A

verycheap

i have a stock 1997 civic cx hatch, manual. Ive had the check engine light come on with an evap issue (p0441). I may have solved the problem, but I've been waiting for the cel to clear on its own. a couple of days ago i unplugged some connectors in the ecu which cleared the code (by accident, but no big deal).

my question is, when i scan I get all the usual "not ready" for certain monitors that take a while to get input, but for EVAP i get N/A. is this normal?

thanks

verycheap

thanks for the reply and link. I just thought that evap would be one of the general things an emission test would want to read. I was surprised when i saw N/A for Evap. I thought maybe my ecu was bad or some other hardware problem was making the evap not readable

ps. thanks for the welcome. I must have been on this board hundreds of times problem solving for car issues. I didn't see this particular issue so it was finally time to register.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thanks for the reply and link. I just thought that evap would be one of the general things an emission test would want to read. I was surprised when i saw N/A for Evap. I thought maybe my ecu was bad or some other hardware problem was making the evap not readable

ps. thanks for the welcome. I must have been on this board hundreds of times problem solving for car issues. I didn't see this particular issue so it was finally time to register.
Haha, no problem at all. I believe that as long as you don't have a CEL for evap you can still pass emissions, though rules also vary by location. You might want to verify just in case. :thumbs up

verycheap

lol, turns out my car being a 97 only needs the 2 spd idle sniff test (ontario canada). I just changed the oil in preparation for tomorrow's test. I'll disconnect the battery tomorrow morning just to be sure the cel doesnt come on.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol, turns out my car being a 97 only needs the 2 spd idle sniff test (ontario canada). I just changed the oil in preparation for tomorrow's test. I'll disconnect the battery tomorrow morning just to be sure the cel doesnt come on.
Verify they don't check for readiness of o2 sensors, disconnecting the battery will set them to Not Ready.

verycheap

I just passed! all the sniff test readings were very good. I went into the test with 1 monitor not ready. I don't think they even check/care about that though. I should have asked if i could still pass even if the cel was on , but i didnt. I'll just live with the evap purge cel when it inevitably returns...no biggie

thanks for your help

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:thumbs up Glad you passed!

FlatRate

5+ Year Member
Seeing as you are in ontario EVAP may not be required. For all US vehicles EVAP is required for OBD2