transmision replace

hatched civic dx

I own a 1990 honda civic dx hatchback it originally had a 5 speed transmission my father burned through it he could not find a 5 speed so he stuck with a four speed that his friend offered him i own it now and looking to go back to a 5 speed transmission once i replace it with the new clutch will my axles still fit it would i need to replace hubs i have worked on many Hondas at a dealership we are supposed to replace with the same trans that it came with so i have no knowledge whats gonna happen when i put the 5 speed transmission.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I own a 1990 honda civic dx hatchback. It originally had a 5 speed transmission. My father burned through it. He could not find a 5 speed so he stuck with a four speed that his friend offered him. I own it now and I'm looking to go back to a 5 speed transmission once I need to replace the clutch. Will my axles still fit it? Would i need to replace hubs? I have worked on many Hondas at a dealership but we are supposed to replace with the same trans that it came with so i have no knowledge whats gonna happen when i put the 5 speed transmission.
If your father did the original swap then ask him what he replaced and just do what he did in reverse. I find it worrisome that a dealership mechanic hasn't even thought of that. The hubs have nothing to do with tranny fitting as the axles take care of that. Do a little online research and you'll figure everything out.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Any 5 speed tranny from a hatch, crx, or four door (even wagons will work as long as they're not 4 wheel drive) can be swapped into any other ef car. There are differences.

88 cars have 21 splines on the input shaft, use a smaller 200mm clutch disc/flywheel.
89 cars have 20 splines on the input shaft (never heard of half of them still having 21, but that maybe true, so watch out, lol) They also use the 200mm clutch disc/flywheel, but the disc will have 20 splines to match the input shaft. The flywheels are the same 88-89 though.
90-91 cars ahve 20 splines and use a bigger 212mm clutch/flywheel (i've heard it's 210mm, so just note it's bigger than the 88-89's)

Standard and HF cars have the smaller outer hubs, but the inner shafts are the same as the DX, so a DX trans with the standard or HF axles will work in a standard/HF car.

DX and Si's (also four door cars) have the larger outer hubs, BUT the DX and Si inner shafts are NOT the same. The sealing surface for the axle seals are different. The DX has the same size seal as the standard/HF, and the Si has the biggest of all, so if you get an Si tranny either use the Si axles or you can change the seals to a DX seal and still use the DX/standard axles.

.008 seconds of searching on google.

Reactions: HeX

hatched civic dx

If your father did the original swap then ask him what he replaced and just do what he did in reverse. I find it worrisome that a dealership mechanic hasn't even thought of that. The hubs have nothing to do with tranny fitting as the axles take care of that. Do a little online research and you'll figure everything out.
My father did the swap when i was deployed and he did no do it himself he had a friend do it and that friend has already left us only thing my father said was he replaced the whole front end axles, hubs, tie rod ends inner and outer, and ball joints as you can see none of that was relevant to replace but he said his friend urged him to do it along with the transmission swap that is why i was asking i asked the forum first and proceeded with asking my shop foreman he said none of that is relevant either but it raised question in my mind.

Thank you all for all of the information i will be looking forward to beginning this project as soon as i can locate a 5 speed transmission.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My father did the swap when i was deployed and he did no do it himself he had a friend do it and that friend has already left us only thing my father said was he replaced the whole front end axles, hubs, tie rod ends inner and outer, and ball joints as you can see none of that was relevant to replace but he said his friend urged him to do it along with the transmission swap that is why i was asking i asked the forum first and proceeded with asking my shop foreman he said none of that is relevant either but it raised question in my mind.
Now the story is more clear. Details help any situation. Heed xxBLOOD88SHOTxx's info and good luck finding a solid tranny. It should'nt be difficult.