B18c type r vtec

Joshua Oliver

Hello everyone I have a few questions I'm hoping can be answered by someone.. anyways I have a 96 spec jdm b18c type r, it's internally stock, recently did head gasket, timing belt, valve ajustment, vtec solenoid gasket, fuel pump, ect.. you get the point. It's in prestine condition, runs exceptional, I'm running on the obd2 p73_003, I'm looking for any where or if there's any way I can "chip" or tune my ecu for vtec crossover at 4500? I understand this will boost mid range and maybe take a lil away up top, but this is my dd, I don't Rev it out too 9k, don't need too. Therefor I can get more usability out of a lower vtec. Main question will this affect overall hp or torque, or will it be as simple as everything will be the same, just vtec kicks at 4500 instead of 5700. If I'm spending the money too do this and do it right I'd like too get maybe a few more bonuses besides vtec ajustment.. can a chip achieve this on obd2 or will I need too send out my ecu, or option 3 am I just an idiot?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You would need to get an ODBI ECU, which means inspection may not be easy. Not sure what you guys have for emissions testing there, but here in NYS you can't pass an ODBII car that has an ODBI ECU.

ODBI ECU you just need to find a tuner in your area. In addition to just changing Vtec crossover you'd want to rework all the maps as well.

Joshua Oliver

You would need to get an ODBI ECU, which means inspection may not be easy. Not sure what you guys have for emissions testing there, but here in NYS you can't pass an ODBII car that has an ODBI ECU.

ODBI ECU you just need to find a tuner in your area. In addition to just changing Vtec crossover you'd want to rework all the maps as well.
Would the gains on a stock motor be worth it to get a quality tune.. as well as lower vtec? Maybe hondata or Neptune or something of the nature

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Would the gains on a stock motor be worth it to get a quality tune.. as well as lower vtec? Maybe hondata or Neptune or something of the nature

Honestly I can't say for sure as I've never personally had a tune on a non-forced induction motor. I would assume you'd get some gain, but it might cost you quite a bit. I had a full dyno tune with my boost setup, but it was a little over $500 including Neptune license. Not sure how much it would cost to tune in your area though.. I would research some tuners and call them and ask for quotes. Let them know your intentions too -- most (good) Honda tuners should be able to give you much better advice on whether it would be worth the cost or not.