I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

We need way more information. The question you just asked is equivalent to "My car is making a noise, please help". Try helping someone based solely off that information... not really feasible.

Model? Trim? Motor?
What's your turbo setup? How much boost are you running? What's your A/F ratio when you hit boost or WOT? What's the ECU / what are you tuned on? Does it happen all the time or only randomly. Is the check engine light on? is the fan kicking on / working? All up to date on maintenance? Any smoke or funny smells from the exhaust when you hit boost?

I would start by checking your fan, then check for air in your coolant lines. Bleed it if you need to.

:welcome:

We need way more information. The question you just asked is equivalent to "My car is making a noise, please help". Try helping someone based solely off that information... not really feasible.

Model? Trim? Motor?
What's your turbo setup? How much boost are you running? What's your A/F ratio when you hit boost or WOT? What's the ECU / what are you tuned on? Does it happen all the time or only randomly. Is the check engine light on? is the fan kicking on / working? All up to date on maintenance? Any smoke or funny smells from the exhaust when you hit boost?

I would start by checking your fan, then check for air in your coolant lines. Bleed it if you need to.
Thanks for your response like I said new to the Honda movement and turbo I just got car a few months ago it is a d16y8 with an edelbrock performer x kit running 10 psi tuned on chrome air fuel ratio doesn't seem to work right it constantly reads 10.0 which I believe is rich it does it randomly and electric fan is always on

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for your response like I said new to the Honda movement and turbo I just got car a few months ago it is a d16y8 with an edelbrock performer x kit running 10 psi tuned on chrome air fuel ratio doesn't seem to work right it constantly reads 10.0 which I believe is rich it does it randomly and electric fan is always on
What size turbo? 10.0 constantly is SUPER rich. Either your sensor is effed or you're actually just dumping fuel. Do you smell gas at all? Any smoke coming from the exhaust? It should read around 14.7 at idle. My guess is that the fan is wired up to a constant power source, but at least we know it's working.

If the temp is spiking at boost I still suggest bleeding the coolant lines. My guess is you have a bit of air in the lines. OR...

When is the last time the head gasket was replaced? Stock head studs? There could be a chance that the head is lifting under boost due to the stock bolts stretching. I would check that out too. Get some ARP head studs to prevent it. With my b18 setup I had to get ARP studs because the head was in fact lifting off the block slightly.

What size turbo? 10.0 constantly is SUPER rich. Either your sensor is effed or you're actually just dumping fuel. Do you smell gas at all? Any smoke coming from the exhaust? It should read around 14.7 at idle. My guess is that the fan is wired up to a constant power source, but at least we know it's working.

If the temp is spiking at boost I still suggest bleeding the coolant lines. My guess is you have a bit of air in the lines. OR...

When is the last time the head gasket was replaced? Stock head studs? There could be a chance that the head is lifting under boost due to the stock bolts stretching. I would check that out too. Get some ARP head studs to prevent it. With my b18 setup I had to get ARP studs because the head was in fact lifting off the block slightly.
Not sure on head studs but a valid point to check I'm going to dig into the fuel ratio gauge here in the next couple days the only time I smell fuel is when I top it off on Fridays from what I was told when I got it it had a built bottom end and stock top end (word of mouth) it has 440 injectors

T

the head looks like it was put on before I got it so I'm assuming the headgasket was done as well but could be real sure

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Tthe head looks like it was put on before I got it so I'm assuming the headgasket was done as well but could be real sure
It might have been done, but if the head is still lifting off the block it's still going to cause you some issues. It sounds like you have a solid setup though!

It might have been done, but if the head is still lifting off the block it's still going to cause you some issues. It sounds like you have a solid setup though!
is there a way to tell realistically if the bottom half has been built etc and is there away to tell if I have ARP head studs etc and how do I bleed off coolant system I've deff burped

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
is there a way to tell realistically if the bottom half has been built etc and is there away to tell if I have ARP head studs etc and how do I bleed off coolant system I've deff burped
Honestly this information should have been known before you purchased it. Without taking the head off you won't really be able to tell just by looking at it. Same with the head studs, but if you take them out you should replace them anyways (unless they're ARP, then you can get away with reusing them once or twice)

As for bleeding the coolant.. Turn engine on, put on the heater, crank it up, wait a minute, shut off the engine, then do this:

EDIT: Forgot to mention earlier, test you thermostat, too.

Honestly this information should have been known before you purchased it. Without taking the head off you won't really be able to tell just by looking at it. Same with the head studs, but if you take them out you should replace them anyways (unless they're ARP, then you can get away with reusing them once or twice)

As for bleeding the coolant.. Turn engine on, put on the heater, crank it up, wait a minute, shut off the engine, then do this:

EDIT: Forgot to mention earlier, test you thermostat, too.
That is something I'm forgetting if I leave fan off and take radiator cap off and let it run it boils out of radiator

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That is something I'm forgetting if I leave fan off and take radiator cap off and let it run it boils out of radiator
By taking the cap off you're could also be introducing air into the system, further causing you issues. I would recommend bleeding coolant to be sure there's no air in the lines. Then go for a drive and see if you can replicate the issue. I forgot to mention also, do it while the car is on an incline.

By taking the cap off you're could also be introducing air into the system, further causing you issues. I would recommend bleeding coolant to be sure there's no air in the lines. Then go for a drive and see if you can replicate the issue. I forgot to mention also, do it while the car is on an incline.
OK as in front up higher