Clutch or transmission issue?

Happiours

2001 EX coupe: When I shift to 5th gear there is a slight noise or feeling in the shift lever that makes me think that the gears are not engaging smoothly or maybe there is a clutch problem. However the other gears shift smoothly. If anything if the clutch were a problem, I would think that it would show up in the lower gears. The car has 137K miles and the clutch has never been changed. Could there be a shift linkage problem that causes this to only happen when selecting 5th gear?

BTW am getting over 35 mpg for my first two (to me) tanks of gas and I am not babying it. It is more that I expected=)

So far in the last two months I have put on new tires 190 60 15, shocks, wiper linkage, valve cover gasket, and air bags (recall). Still need to replace a driver side ball joint and repair the air filter box because two of the seven screws are stripped and I can't get the cover off.

Thanks

Tom

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is it notchy when shifting into 5th? Could be the 5th gear synchros are wearing out. That, unfortunately, would require rebuilding the transmission.

I had a 2nd gear grind with my RSX, but I did a full transmission flush and replaced with some Amsoil MTF.. grind is nearly gone. You might want to try that first, it's the cheapest option as well.

dancam

Registered VIP
^+1 for changing your transmission fluid first. It may have never been done and if so its overdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happiours

^+1 for changing your transmission fluid first. It may have never been done and if so its overdue.

Thanks for responding. The fluid was changed last year. I guess that I will have to double clutch for a while. I imagine that the clutch will have to be replaced in about a year, so I can consider a rebuilt tranny then.

Tom

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for responding. The fluid was changed last year. I guess that I will have to double clutch for a while. I imagine that the clutch will have to be replaced in about a year, so I can consider a rebuilt tranny then.

Tom
I have to double clutch shifting into 2nd sometimes still. But '02 RSX is notorious for bad 2nd gear synchros. You can try flushing again with a magnetic drain bolt, you might get some metal shavings out of there. When I did my flush, I got a ton of them out.

dancam

Registered VIP

Tom
Ok, did a shop do it or did you? Having the wrong fluid put in these can apparently wreck them. A friend of mine also had a 7th gen and a jiffy lube used the wrong oil in it and wrecked his transmission. I don't know any more about what happened than that.
It looks like you bought this more recently than a year ago. You trust that the change was done? And that the correct fluid was used? Also are there any signs of leaks? Perhaps the fluid is low.
I would still try a fluid change before replacement as its quite easy and cheap to do yourself. If you do end up changing it maybe consider a transmission from an auto wrecker. Usually cheaper than a rebuild and come with warrenty.

dancam

Registered VIP
Oh, and those stripped screws on the air filter box- is it the heads that are stripped or did the inserts in the lower half come loose?
If its The heads they are 8mm as well as phillips right? Both are stripped? Can you get a vise grip in there?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, did a shop do it or did you? Having the wrong fluid put in these can apparently wreck them.
Very true.
Also are there any signs of leaks? Perhaps the fluid is low.
I would still try a fluid change before replacement as its quite easy and cheap to do yourself.
Low fluid could affect 5th gear because of how it sits in the tranny it may not get as much as 1-4. I had that happen in my first car, an '89 Integra, and I blew 5th gear because I didnt know any better about the fluid, but the other 4 gears were just fine. AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modifier fluid is widely lauded for its results in manual Honda tranny's, as is Redline MTF. I just added the AC Delco stuff to mine a few hours ago and already feel an improvement.

retired mech

2001 EX coupe: When I shift to 5th gear there is a slight noise or feeling in the shift lever that makes me think that the gears are not engaging smoothly or maybe there is a clutch problem. However the other gears shift smoothly. If anything if the clutch were a problem, I would think that it would show up in the lower gears. The car has 137K miles and the clutch has never been changed. Could there be a shift linkage problem that causes this to only happen when selecting 5th gear?

BTW am getting over 35 mpg for my first two (to me) tanks of gas and I am not babying it. It is more that I expected=)

So far in the last two months I have put on new tires 190 60 15, shocks, wiper linkage, valve cover gasket, and air bags (recall). Still need to replace a driver side ball joint and repair the air filter box because two of the seven screws are stripped and I can't get the cover off.

Thanks

Tom
Sounds like your getting a bad syncronizer. Try changing the trans oil. Make sure you use honda manual trans. fluid. 1ow30 can make shifting sticky. I have 315000 on my clutch and I pull a boat and trailer.

Last edited by a moderator: