Back at it, this time with 4 doors...

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just picked up an ES2 this past Wednesday for a decent price with a CEL for misfires. Everything checked out so I went ahead and took the intake off to clean up all the carbon in the EGR passages, and man was there a s**t ton of it lol Total blockage, but, I got it all cleaned up and back together. No CEL after a 5 mile test drive. Threw a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner in the tank (just under half a tank) and drove it to the gas station and topped it off with 93 octane. Now it sits in my garage while my wife is over at a friends coloring her hair.

It's currently dumped on blown the eff out OE struts and what I can only assume are eBay coils. I've had smoother suspension on a gravel road riding a skateboard. That s**t has got to go. I already have a front and rear camber kit headed to me, and am shopping for struts but having 3 kids leaves me with a very limited budget. Are the "Rokkor" sets really THAT bad? I mean, they HAVE to be better than what I'm riding on, right? I'm a former Honda Tech with Master certification, so it's nothing for me to do any labor. they've got a 5 year warranty... I dunno, I just don't want stock suspension, yet. We also have a bone stock MDX so if I want a smooth quiet ride, I'll take the truck lol

Anyway, That's probably more than enough info, and I'm sure it'll cause quite the discussion, but I'm OK with that, just don't be a douche.

Thanks for reading,
Tim

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your a 10+ year member then you already know the general consensus regarding rokkor/raceland suspension so im guessing your mind is already made up.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Touché, but, I'd honestly never heard of them before now or I just never paid attention I guess. I do remember the raceland hype and flop, and my research has discovered that the rokkors are basically the same crap, with higher rear spring rates. I'm just asking how they would compare to the s**t struts that are currently on the car, plus, it's a tad too low for my taste as it sits, I had to lift the car by hand just to get it on my floor jack so I could do the intake cleaning. I don't have my mind made up, just saying with my limited budget, they have to be better than what I've got, and with the warranty, I should have more than enough time to save up for a decent setup.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you have been here since 04, and still havent posted any damn pics? wtf

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lmao, sorry, it's just a four door on blown out struts an no name coils, but here ya go ;) image.jpg image.jpg

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i dont care if its a one legged stripped with 1 eye and no teeth named candy, i need pics.

looks like a decent little car man, i use to have a 01 lx, it was ok, just slow as s**t

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anything Civic after 2000 sucked a fat cock

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Lol as bad as that sounds. Its kinda true. The build quality just wasnt the same.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was gonna say I got it for a really good price, and how much I missed driving stick, but... Nah, eff it, I did get a good deal, and being back in a manual car is nice, even if it is supah slow lol

Going from the MDX with the J35A5 to this little D17A2 was a bit of an adjustment, but it's still fun to drive, shitty suspension and all.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's fine. If they last about 6 months or longer, I'll be satisfied. I should be able to get a better setup by then.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
rokor/raceland scare me because of the sub par materials there made from. after seeing these coils fail catastrophically on multiple occasions i wouldn't recommend them over blown stock shocks for safety reasons not ride quality. as far as build quality between 6th and 7th gen civics go there's not much difference except for the 7th gen using a cheaper suspension setup and being slightly heavier.

Last edited: