The process on my "stanced" coupe

BrayanGonza

Respected
Hello everyone, I'm a new guy to this forum and any forum at that. I have had a couple Hondas (integra, prelude) but this is the first time I use a forum and I wanted to share my build process for anyone that's interested in being slammed lol. (Laugh if you want I know it's inpractical but I enjoy it). It started with a 1998 civic coupe that I paid $1000 for. I went to buy it and it didnt start so I had to push start it to get it home. A new starter and it was good to go mechanically. It had a broken front bumper from hitting a curb and a cracked rear bumper that I have no clue how it happened.
image.jpg image.jpg
The next day I ordered Raceland ultimo coilovers since I had them on a past build of a Mazda Miata and I really liked them so I said why not give them a try. I was also able to get a deal on trading my si stocks for some 15x8 diamond racing wheels and si tail lights for $20 plus my oem ones. And I got a new (used) rear bumper to replace the cracked one.
image.jpg image.jpg
I then installed the coilovers and maxed them out image.jpg
For the meantime I put the cracked rear bumper back on because the white mismatch wasn't working for me. At this point I had removed the front bumper that was cracked and removed the fenders because they weren't fitting. image.jpg

image.jpg
I began looking for a new front end and I came across a 99/00 front end for $75! I picked it up immediately even though it was all kind of colors and the hood had dents. Yes I know, it's hideous, and my fenders still weren't fitting. image.jpg
I wasn't too happy how the wheels were fitting so I went on eBay and ordered a set of 1.5 inch wheel spacers and put those on the back along with a eBay rear camber kit. This when I first tried the fender on and it still rubbed too bad, and rubbed as well in the rear as you can see

I wasn't too happy how the wheels were fitting so I went on eBay and ordered a set of 1.5 inch wheel spacers and put those on the back along with a eBay rear camber kit. This when I first tried the fender on and it still rubbed too bad, and rubbed as well in the rear as you can see image.jpg
After modifying the camber kit, cutting the coilover spring, and grinding down some of the brake assembly I was able to fit the rear image.jpg
I went back on eBay and ordered a front lip for like $30 and it actually holds up nicely. Ignore the "ek9" tag that came on there that I was too lazy to take off. image.jpg after all that and some more cutting of the spring and rolling/pulling the quarter panels this is how crust my car was looking
image.jpg I removed all the parts I got that were mismatching and I sprayed them with black rattle can paint to hold it off till I did something about the paint image.jpg
image.jpg
That's pretty much where I'm at the moment. The car needs a new hood that isn't dented and bent so it can fit properly and of course it needs paint. I went on dipyourcar.com and picked up three gallons of dip for like $140. Soon the car will be all once color. I'll keep updating as the build goes on. It's no where close to done. I plan on doing something that hasn't been done on this chassis with the wheel set up. image.jpg

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont understand the appeal of that dropped look. It must be about being different because I cant imagine it feeling like a decent ride. At least you seem to be trying to do things properly while it being what it is, so best of luck on it. Im interested in seeing how it goes.

BrayanGonza

Respected
I dont understand the appeal of that dropped look. It must be about being different because I cant imagine it feeling like a decent ride. At least you seem to be trying to do things properly while it being what it is, so best of luck on it. Im interested in seeing how it goes.
Thanks I appreciate your honest opinion. Honestly the ride isn't horrible at the moment. Only problem is eating through tires as you would have probably already imagined.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks I appreciate your honest opinion. Honestly the ride isn't horrible at the moment. Only problem is eating through tires as you would have probably already imagined.
Oh yeah. Im sure. I assume it only makes sense to buy the least expensive brand available. Do you not only rotate tires but switch sides to take advantage of the less worn edge?

BrayanGonza

Respected
Oh yeah. Im sure. I assume it only makes sense to buy the least expensive brand available. Do you not only rotate tires but switch sides to take advantage of the less worn edge?
Yeah I buy tires that are around $45 new and I get them flipped to wear on both sides

Robert Garcia

@Brayan Gonza
How did you cut the rear camber kit?
I have 16x9 +15 and the poke is crazy even with the kit maxed out.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
chopped springs, 1.5" wheel spacers on factory studs, diamond steelies with wayyyy too much negative camber, rattle can paint and plastidip... what about any of that is "doing things properly"? it went from looking like a decent shell to start with, to looking like every other riced out civic i see in my area. kids need to stop going for this "look my trailing arms broke and separated from my lower control arms and now my frames dragging on the ground" look. it ridiculous and nowhere near functional or even safe

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bland, I'm not arguing with you. Keep in mind I started by stating I don't get the appeal. In my opinion, there's nothing right about the "stance" look as I see no "car healthy" way to accomplish that appearance of "broken suspension" as guys like you and I would deem it. I only admit an appreciation for him trying to appear clean while staying in a budget. Decent spray can jobs & plasti-dip are reasonable momentary options. His rattle can job actually looks pretty good compared to many I've seen, including my car when I bought it. Truth be told I missed the cut springs comment, which I can never condone, But he's clearly working with what he has so far so for his sake I hope the quality in equipment goes up. I'm sure you can agree that they have been much worse basic beginnings for stanced cars than this. Give Gonza at least a little credit.

Last edited:

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Bland, I'm not arguing with you. Keep in mind I started by stating I don't get the appeal. In my opinion, there's nothing right about the "stance" look as I see no "car healthy" way to accomplish that look being that it just looks like broken suspension to guys like you and I. I only admit an appreciation for him trying to appear clean while staying in a budget. Decent spray can jobs & plasti-dip are reasonable momentary options. His rattle cvan job actually looks pretty good compared to many I've seen, including my car when I bought it. Truth be told I missed the cut springs comment, which I can never condone, But he's clearly working with what he has so far so for his sake I hope the quality in equipment goes up. I'm sure you can agree that they have been much worse basic beginnings for stanced cars than this. Give Gonza at least a little credit.
i meant nothing towards you with my comment, and you are absolutely right i have seen much worse. yes the rattle can job doesnt look horrible, but he couldve thrown a few coats of clear plus a little wetsanding and buffing to make it look a little better. im assuming hes going to plastidip the entire car though. i see it too often. stance "build" starter kit = diamond steelies with a crazy offset + wheel spacers + ebay lip + plastidip. it is his car though so hes free to do whatever suits his taste if thats what hes in to. its not like my cars anything special and he doesnt deserve having me coming on here talking trash. i apologize

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i meant nothing towards you with my comment, and you are absolutely right i have seen much worse. yes the rattle can job doesnt look horrible, but he couldve thrown a few coats of clear plus a little wetsanding and buffing to make it look a little better. im assuming hes going to plastidip the entire car though. i see it too often. stance "build" starter kit = diamond steelies with a crazy offset + wheel spacers + ebay lip + plastidip. it is his car though so hes free to do whatever suits his taste if thats what hes in to. its not like my cars anything special and he doesnt deserve having me coming on here talking trash. i apologize
I appreciate that. I've done my overstating before as well, so its all good. Constructive criticism is always healthy in my book. Now, if he was a self-entitled jerk claiming falsehoods then I'd say otherwise. Lets move along to the topic at hand.

Rattle can clear is a waste of time for him in my opinion unless he uses something very durable like U-pol, which I've only read good things about so far. However, if plasti-dip is the next route then it'd be pointless to shine up a temporary job. Keep in mind that more rattle can layers now would mean more prep work later when he saves up enough to have a good paint job.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
I appreciate that. I've done my overstating before as well, so its all good. Constructive criticism is always healthy in my book. Now, if he was a self-entitled jerk claiming falsehoods then I'd say otherwise. Lets move along to the topic at hand.

Rattle can clear is a waste of time for him in my opinion unless he uses something very durable like U-pol, which I've only read good things about so far. However, if plasti-dip is the next route then it'd be pointless to shine up a temporary job. Keep in mind that more rattle can layers now would mean more prep work later when he saves up enough to have a good paint job.
Yeah you make yet another good point. Rattle can clear is def not the most durable crap as I've experienced myself. Also the cost of materials for a semi decent rattle can job would cost more than he's prob willing to spend.

BrayanGonza

Respected
Bland, I'm not arguing with you. Keep in mind I started by stating I don't get the appeal. In my opinion, there's nothing right about the "stance" look as I see no "car healthy" way to accomplish that appearance of "broken suspension" as guys like you and I would deem it. I only admit an appreciation for him trying to appear clean while staying in a budget. Decent spray can jobs & plasti-dip are reasonable momentary options. His rattle can job actually looks pretty good compared to many I've seen, including my car when I bought it. Truth be told I missed the cut springs comment, which I can never condone, But he's clearly working with what he has so far so for his sake I hope the quality in equipment goes up. I'm sure you can agree that they have been much worse basic beginnings for stanced cars than this. Give Gonza at least a little credit.
Lol thanks man! It's come a long way! I'll post pics soon. Better than all this crap I have here =)

BrayanGonza

Respected
M
chopped springs, 1.5" wheel spacers on factory studs, diamond steelies with wayyyy too much negative camber, rattle can paint and plastidip... what about any of that is "doing things properly"? it went from looking like a decent shell to start with, to looking like every other riced out civic i see in my area. kids need to stop going for this "look my trailing arms broke and separated from my lower control arms and now my frames dragging on the ground" look. it ridiculous and nowhere near functional or even safe
may we see some pictures of your car? I want to see how the right way to do things are since my car didn't make you too happy.