Possible fluid leak

thtmvnsvm

Hey guys, I got a 5 speed 2004 em2 lx with about 150,000 miles on it.
I'm new to cars but am learning about them.
I don't know much about oil leaks but i feel like some type of fluid is leaking close to the headers. I know this is kinda of vague because its hard to see what I see, but some guesses may help me out before I decide to take it to a mechanic. uploadfromtaptalk1448321661645.JPG

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
Take a picture from the passenger side. Is it vtec? If its not there is a black plastic plug where the vtec solenoid goes that always leaks on these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thtmvnsvm

I'll try an take another pic when I get home but, I have a non-vtec d17a, so it might not be a VTEC solenoid.

dancam

Registered VIP
I'll try an take another pic when I get home but, I have a non-vtec d17a, so it might not be a VTEC solenoid.

It probably is, honda had the stupid idea of putting a plastic plug to fill the spot where the solenoid would go on a vtec.
Looks like this

I dont have a good picture, sorry, but its that black plastic plug in the centre of the photo where the valve cover meets the head.

thtmvnsvm

That shiny part is where the fluid seems to drip on top of. I haven't seen anything like a black plug yet. Is it under the resonator box near the shiny part in the picture I uploaded?

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
Its beside your egr canister. Either that plug is leakig or maybe its your thermostat housing. Removing the resonater is very easy and would help you a lot to see where its leaking from.

thtmvnsvm

I think I see what your talking about now, I think they call it the cam plug seal or something like that, there's oil all around it and oil under it as well. I looked it up and it seems to be common. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully this is all than needs to be done.

dancam

Registered VIP
Glad you found it! When the car is running the oil level should be about 1/4 of the way up that plug in the head, so when you pop it out make sure to have the pass side of the car jacked up so not too much spills out everywhere. Then clean the opening with solvent and pop the new one in. I plan to silicon mine in on friday, but your choice if you want to try that. I cant tell you if it works yet obviously.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
careful removing that plug if one of the plastic teeth come of it can end up in the engin.

thtmvnsvm

careful removing that plug if one of the plastic teeth come of it can end up in the engin.
Yea I'm hoping that won't happen. Do you think I could replace it without removing the egr valve? I don't mind getting the egr valve gasket and silicon sealant but I want to avoid unplugging the egr valve and causing an CEL to show up

daperez13

Respected
It certainly looks like oil and not coolant. I agree with dancam, it probably is the rear cam plug/seal. It's an easy fix but like stated before, be patient in removing the plug. I know it's just a peace of plastic but get an OEM Honda replacement, it will fit better than an after market replacement. Give it a nice cleaning and report back to see if it solved the problem.