bass boosted EJ

EJaudiophile

Respected
A brief bit of research on both codes coinciding seems to point at an O2 sensor issue and possibly the catalytic. Inspect both sources. If its the O2, replace it with OEM (NTK brand) part and not a Bosch O2 sensor.
is there a way for me to confirm whether it's one or the other without buying both parts money is very tight

EJaudiophile

Respected
Well it looks like the idle issue has fixed itself I don't know how

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is there a way for me to confirm whether it's one or the other without buying both parts money is very tight
Read below, quoted from OBD-Codes.com. Both codes have the O2 sensors in common. The related O2 info linking the issues is in BLUE and the O2 test is highlighted in GREEN. I edited the original descriptions to just get to the point.

P0135 = This code refers to the front oxygen sensor on Bank 1. The heated circuit in the oxygen sensor decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The ECM tracks how long it takes for the oxygen sensor to begin switching. If the ECM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0135.
Symptoms: You will likely notice poor fuel economy.
Causes: A code P0135 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- O2 Heater element resistance is high, Internal short or open in the heater element.
- O2 heater circuit wiring high resistance, open or short to ground in the wiring harness
Possible Solutions:
- Repair short or open or high resistance in wiring harness or harness connectors
- Replace oxygen sensor (cannot repair open or short that occurs internally to sensor)

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0135

P0420 = Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
What does that mean? This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code because it applies to all makes and models of vehicles (1996-newer). When the vehicle is warm and running in closed loop mode, the upstream oxygen sensor waveform reading should fluctuate. The downstream O2 sensor reading should be fairly steady. Typically the P0420 code triggers the Check Engine Light if the readings of the two sensors are similar. This is indicative of (among other things) a converter that is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). Catalytic converters are not designed to wear out and need replacement. If they have failed, it is likely due to something else that caused it to fail.
Symptoms: Aside from the CEL, you will likely not notice any drivability problems unless the substance inside the catalytic converter is broken or failed, then it may be restricting the exhaust which will result in a feeling of reduced power output from the vehicle.
Causes: A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
- A damaged or failed oxygen sensor, possible wiring damaged or connected improperly.
- The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings.
- The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
- Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / muffler / exhaust pipe
- Retarded spark timing
- Leaking fuel injector or high fuel pressure
- Cylinder misfire
- Oil contamination

Possible Solutions:
- Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
- Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation.**
- Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2S), replace if necessary
- Replace the catalytic converter.
- Overall probably the biggest mistake is to simply replace an oxygen sensor (H02S). It is important to do proper diagnosis so you're not wasting money replacing parts unnecessarily. There are many stories where folks replaced the cat with a cheaper aftermarket one only to have the code return shortly thereafter.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well it looks like the idle issue has fixed itself I don't know how
If its, in fact, a faulty O2 sensor or related wiring issue then it'll randomly make good contact and work well. If the O2 sensors both look old and original, I would'nt risk it and I'd replace both. Perhaps give each a full visual inspection with them removed then make your decision.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Polished HX rims. Not bad. Why is your car sitting so high though?

EJaudiophile

Respected
Cause I'm too broke for new suspension but I don't think I will have the car for much longer I think I killed my car today it started running really rough when the gas pedal stopped working I had to stomp on it to get it to Rev

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Better take those rims off then. If you plan on another honda they are worth keeping for awhile IMO.

EJaudiophile

Respected
I'm going to. I wanna try to fix the car first though. I'm pretty sure it's a blown head gasket but I'm not positive so I'm gonna have my mechanic friend look it over before I start thinking of another car