After market lugs on my stock wheels... Never again

Shrillin

Respected
I went and bought some new locking lugnuts for my wheels because they "looked cool" and they locked afterall. Went to my mechanic and asked him to change my studs and put on the lugs, ending up replacing the bearings as well. Anyhow, with my stock wheels my mechanic mentioned nothing about tapered lugs ruining anything, and here am I am after finding out how they ruin your rims as well as the studs? Wow. How screwed am I? How worried should I be right now? Am I going to have to replace all my studs again?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First of all, what rims do you have? Secondly, why do you think tapered lug nuts will ruin your wheels or studs? If youre worried you should explain why and how you came to the conclusion. Pictures wouldnt hurt either.

Shrillin

Respected
First of all, what rims do you have? Secondly, why do you think tapered lug nuts will ruin your wheels or studs? If youre worried you should explain why and how you came to the conclusion. Pictures wouldnt hurt either.
I have the stock 99-00 Si wheels. I found this to explain:

And stock vs new lugs:

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OEM lugs are usually ball radius and aftermarket lugs, no matter what brand, are usually tapered (60 degrees).

It is possible to run aftermarket lugs, which are designed for aftermarket wheels (with tapered lug holes), with the help of special adapters. I have some actually. Sadly I forget where I got them, but Im sure if you look them up/Google some keyword you can find them. Worse comes to worse, I can send them to you.

Shrillin

Respected
OEM lugs are usually ball radius and aftermarket lugs, no matter what brand, are usually tapered (60 degrees).

It is possible to run aftermarket lugs, which are designed for aftermarket wheels (with tapered lug holes), with the help of special adapters. I have some actually. Sadly I forget where I got them, but Im sure if you look them up/Google some keyword you can find them. Worse comes to worse, I can send them to you.
I've seen something about these, but my main concern is the damage thats already been done.

Shrillin

Respected
Can I just install some ball seat lugs back on, or should I be concerned with the damage that's already been done to the rims?

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If they only have 100 miles on them, I wouldn't be worried about it. Just put the OEM ones, or some radius ones back on. If anything, the inner pockets of the OEM wheels might be scuffed.

Shrillin

Respected
sorry to be the deliverer of bad news man :(
It's very very much appreciated regardless, so thank you! Last thing I need right now is to have my wheels falling off or something! I went ahead and got some new OEM ballseat lugs I'm going to be putting on tomorrow.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Definitely switch the lugs, my buddy bought an Integra with hx wheels and aftermarket lugs, on the drive home it was getting real wobbly and loud sounding. Turns out two lug studs sheared off and a third was ready to go, we ended up catching it in time but had to go get an inverter and grinder to get the studs out and new ones in on the side of the road

Shrillin

Respected
did this pic on my thread back in 2011
oem taper vs muteki lug sr48 nuts taper by Kerry Smith, on Flickr

good to see a member learning and resolving a problem :thumbs up
Oh yes! I've always tried to do all my own work, but lack of space for tools has crippled me. I also went and got a torque wrench so that I can put them on right! All I want to do is learn more about this beautiful machine! Soon I'll explore under the hood a little more, baby steps! ;)

Shrillin

Respected
Definitely switch the lugs, my buddy bought an Integra with hx wheels and aftermarket lugs, on the drive home it was getting real wobbly and loud sounding. Turns out two lug studs sheared off and a third was ready to go, we ended up catching it in time but had to go get an inverter and grinder to get the studs out and new ones in on the side of the road
Ouch! Yeah I've been pretty scared driving on these lugs after I found out the hazard. Not driving another 2 feet without changing them back though, glad I got it all sorted out!

Shrillin

Respected
Some OEM style ball seat lugs are back on. I'll be checking the torque on the lugs regularly for a little while, just to be safe! Thanks for any advice and input! Thread can be closed. :lock: